What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 38 questions

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
Page 38-2 Step 6
Pretty easy step deals with riveting the doubler and the pedal together. Does it matter which way you drive these? Seems most do the factory head facing the pilot maybe because it looks neat. I would like to do the shop head facing the pilot so I'm not smashing the factory heat with my feet and the shop ends might give better grip... thoughts?

Page 38-10 Step 1
Calls for making cable links from 1/2 inch wide, .050 thick 4130 Steel. The only thing that looks like it could be used for this are 4 strips of SS4130-050X1/2X4, is that correct?

Page 38-2 Step 6
Pretty easy step deals with riveting the doubler and the pedal together. Does it matter which way you drive these? Seems most do the factory head facing the pilot maybe because it looks neat. I would like to do the shop head facing the pilot so I'm not smashing the factory heat with my feet and the shop ends might give better grip... thoughts?

That's what I did and would do it that way again if I had to .

Page 38-10 Step 1
Calls for making cable links from 1/2 inch wide, .050 thick 4130 Steel. The only thing that looks like it could be used for this are 4 strips of SS4130-050X1/2X4, is that correct?

I believe that's correct.

Thanks for the replies. I'm probably overthinking it, I just don't want to try to brake and have my feet slipping all over the place. Likewise didn't want to use the wrong steel piece and have the linkage break in flight.

Ultimately would love some sharp looking and functioning bolt on replacements. I saw there used to be some but nothing I could find for sale.

rudder links

You may find that if you make the rudder link per van's dimensions, your rudder pedals will be offset with the rudder in trail position...

Back