What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

section 31b page 02 step 1 enlarging grommet hole

tim walter

Well Known Member
This step asks the builder to punch a 1/2inch hole in a rubber grommet using a vice and a 1/2inch socket.

That simply does not work.
I tried several varieties of socket all it does is squash the rubber.
I don't know about yours, but my sockets do NOT have a cutting edge !

has anyone actually got this to work?

what is the best alternative?
I could try drilling the hole, but I suspect a standard steel twist drill will just make a mess of the rubber.
I can sandwich the grommet between 2 wood blocks, clamp it and drill it maybe?

there's probably a simple solution that I am missing?
Anyone?

worked for me

It worked fine for me using a 3/8 drive socket

When the vise fully closed, made kind of a crunching noise and the piece easily came out. I used a fairly large vise.

put something soft BEHIND the grommet, like a piece of wood or soft plastic so the socket can push beyond the grommet wall.

I ran into this installing the new fuel pressure sender on Page 42D-24 - which refers the builder to 31-02. The fuel pressure sender installation is buckshee. First, I tried to force the elbow into the hole. Almost made it. then, I used a hand reamer to shave off a bit more from the I.D. and it fit.

After installation, it was STILL buckshee. The only thing holding the sender in the bracket is the friction from the grommet and the stiffness of the VA-216 hose below it The F-00036 bracket could stand a redesign as well.

Try the reamer. Be sure to listen for the "distinct crunching sound...."

Bob Bogash
N737G

The only thing holding the sender in the bracket is the friction from the grommet and the stiffness of the VA-216 hose below it The F-00036 bracket could stand a redesign as well.

Have you found a fix for this? I've noticed the same problem.

task completed at last

Have you found a fix for this? I've noticed the same problem.

I just got back to this task.

I looked through all my sockets and found a 13mm that has considerably thinner walls
I tried that and it did eventually work as directed.

The problem is that my sockets (except that 13mm) all have extremely thick and blunt walls.
I suppose aviation grade tools must have thin walls.

Back