What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 28-17

scorwin

Almost done with section 28. The landing gear mounts are painful to work with. A quick search through VAF finds that its not uncommon. A little (or a lot) of incentive with a mallet lined up the holes so I could put the bolts in. They're in tight for sure.

Then it has you put the shim in between 1004K and the mount. The shim is even tighter. Had to use a hammer and something to push it between the 1004K and mount. Is this normal? I don't want to match-drill (step 2) if its not. Most everything else lines up well, so this was odd.

F736F5C9-D114-4965-B0A8-D40E966B6EF9_zpstlfryjqe.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if is it necessary or not, but I did it because the plans said to. The entire fitting of the landing gear mount took me over 10 hours and raised the specter of 'can I finish this project'. I did note once in place and after I had several bolts tightened, things seemed to come in alignment much better.

The shim is even tighter. Had to use a hammer and something to push it between the 1004K and mount. Is this normal?

That does seem odd... as another data point, my spacers fit with plenty of room to spare on both R/L sides. In fact I remember being slightly concerned that there was "too much" clearance between the mount and the 1004K. With the bolts installed later on though everything snugged up just fine.

My first thought is I wouldn't be too concerned though, I'm betting it's just due to some minor differences in the weldment of the gear mounts or something. It seems especially with anything landing gear mount-related, if you can get it to fit and it's not broken in the process, then it's installed correctly :)

If you want to be absolutely sure, a call to Van's wouldn't hurt, but like I said I wouldn't be overly concerned, it seems people have a variety of experiences with fitting of these kinds of parts.

Best of luck!

I went ahead and match-drilled the holes. Went to remove the landing mount and a couple of the bolts were VERY difficult to remove. Painful process for me anyways...

I prob spent 10 hours on it also. Multiple 4 letter words spoken to the wall. That kinda process.

I called Vans yesterday because I was having difficulty lining things up. Can't remember who I spoke with but all he said was "look to see if somethings stopping it from sitting right". Not much help there. He did say that sometimes you have to bend the arms on the mount. Tried that. Didn't budge one bit. I opened up the hole on the bottom skin because it seemed to get stuck there. May have helped a little bit, but not sure.

The shims were tight on both sides so I don't think its an alignment issues with the front and back center sections.

Anyways, its done. Hopefully nothing wrong with the mount. Once the 3-4 bolts go in, it does line up better, but the bolts are horribly difficult to remove after.

Is there any reason for concern with the alignment being difficult?

Section 29 starts next. Not today though...

Last edited:
It was with great pleasure...

that I created a new Google Chrome bookmarks folder over this morning's coffee, titled "RV-10 Project." And the first page bookmarked therein: The Wilbur Family's RV-10 Project. (Many other build logs and vendor sites to follow, no doubt.)

And it is with equal joy that I note the "dreaded section 29" looks to be all done on my orphan project as she currently sits, waiting for me to come get her in Ohio. Oh! - but what other snags and snafus yet await the overconfident repeat offender, I can but imagine - and tremble.

-Stormy

stuff's gettin' real over here in the Appalachian skunkwerks :D

Back