What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 22-04

Tony_T

Well Known Member
Patron
My fuselage kit came with the FT-60 fuel flow metering device. The VA-188 mounting bracket has holes drilled for the mounting bolts but page 22-04 does not show the hardware for the FT-60. It mounts with AN-4 bolts to the two larger holes. My hardware kit does not include the bolts or the nutplates which look to be some sort of minature type and -4 for 1/4x28, not the K1000-3 shown.
582811158_xa8QL-M.jpg

I am sure Van's will send the hardware when I call tomorrow but the point of the thread is that if one installs the hardware shown on page 22-04 and then you find later that you have the FT-60, you will have to remove the bracket and change the hardware.
I also checked for revisions of this page and found none.
I searched the forum and was surprised no one else has reported this. Am I the only one to get the FT-60?

Tony

FT-60

Mine came with this part too; I did not have the minature 1/4" nut plates, so I used regular ones and made them fit somehow! As I remember, I had to drill new holes on the mounting bracket.

FT-60 won't fit on mounting bracket

I just ran into the same problem...darn, I hate to drill out the mounting plate, enlarging the holes in the skin probably. Also AN4-fitting nutplates that I happened to have in the shop have ears so long (wide) that they may not fit on the mounting plate.

I also found nothing in the revisions or the archives about this boo-boo. I think that 22-04 should be revised to allow you to put holes and nutplates in place before riveting it to the fuselage skin for either model of the fuel flow unit...provide alternatives for either the Flo Scan or the FT-60 unit...as it is now, only the Flo Scan is invisioned in the construction of the mounting plate.

I also sent an e-mail to tech support at Van's today but since it was already reported to them on 7/5/09 by another builder and no change was forthcoming I am not certain what they plan to do.

22 04

My advise from Van's was to drill out the fuel flow mount, put in the small nutplates, and reassemble it .... I did that, and then the fuel line didn't want to fit as I had it made because the fuel flow unit now sits somewhat offset from what the Flo Scan unit would have done...but with some harsh words and judicious bending of the aluminum tube I made it all work out.

Just another burple in the stream of construction !

JohnF Salida, CO
RV6A
RV-12 wings done, tail done, expecting finishing kit due this week. fuselage at the 90% point

FT-60 Fuel lines bends

Here is a photo of the S bend needed in the Valve to FT-60 fuel line, not shown on the plans.
603875597_anehB-M.jpg

Tony

Darn it Tony, I missed (or forgot about) this post until today, when I tried to mount the FT-60 fuel sensor in the Flo-scan nutplates. Subsequently spoke with Gus at Van's and he says I should have the minature 1/4" nutplates in the kit, but I don't. I also don't have the AN4-17A bolts. Maybe they are shipping the correct hardware now with the current kits, but I guess they were not when my kit shipped. I have drilled out the bracket and am ready to replace the nutplates when I get the right ones.

Back