What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 21, page 6-ish

kritsher

Well Known Member
I'm not sure of the exact page number as I don't have the plans with me, but I'm hoping to get an answer before I head back to the shop tonight...

I'm at the point where I'm attaching the left and right seat assemblies to the main bulkhead assembly (the sub-assembly with the big aluminum U-channel that came mostly pre-assembled).

Clearly, the rivets on the top flange are attached with the manufactured heads on the seat side. What about the rivets that attach the seat rib flanges to the bulkhead?

Usually, I would put those heads on the flange side because it's the thinner material, but I recall that when attaching the baggage compartment assembly, the instructions specifically said to put the manufactured heads on the bulkhead side.

So, which way are you guys doing it? Does it matter? Thanks.

Sect 21-8, Make it look good!

Most of the Rivet heads are on the cockpit side but there was a problem for some guys when they installed the landing gear. Review Sect 35 page 4&5. If you have the landing gear struts try fitting them into the channel and you will see what I mean if there are pulled rivets sticking out in the way. See this thread which talks about the problem:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=44554&highlight=landing+gear+strut

I think a couple of guys put all the finished heads on the cockpit side and dulled or filed the corners of the strut so that they would pass by the unfinished part of the rivet. :confused:

I installed all rivets with the manufactured side out and there were three rivets, on each side, that interfered with the saddle that holds the landing gear in place, one in the front side of the channel and two on the back side. I simply drilled them out and reinstalled them with the manufactured head inside the channel and everything went together just fine.

Back