What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

section 21 page 3 figure 2

tim walter

Well Known Member
in section 21 page 3 figure 2
the diagram shows 3 nutplates along the F-1206A flange on each side
with text that says "2x" instead of "3x" even though there are clearly 3 nutplates, and 3 arrows from the "2x" text.

Is this a mistake in the plans?

Also, it shows diffferent nutplate part numbers for left and right sides.
right sides are K1100-08, left sides are k1000-08
is that also correct?
both sides were match drilled with #19 as directed in the plans, so why have different nut plates?

is that also correct?
both sides were match drilled with #19 as directed in the plans, so why have different nut plates?

The different nut plates are because one set will accept a flush head screw. Something is going to be installed later on top of them. I almost noticed them too late.

I think 2X in those drawings refers to the number of rivets per nut plate, not the number of nut plates to be installed.

http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com/2010/04/threat-of-rain.html

in section 21 page 3 figure 2
the diagram shows 3 nutplates along the F-1206A flange on each side
with text that says "2x" instead of "3x" even though there are clearly 3 nutplates, and 3 arrows from the "2x" text.

Is this a mistake in the plans?

is that also correct?

Tim,

If you look closely at the drawing, the "2X" refers to two rivets per nutplate.

The drawing is correct. A K1100-08 nutplate will accept a countersunk flathead screw. The 5 K1100-08 nutplates will eventually be used for the countersunk screws that hold down the floor under the gas tank. That's why they have to be flat to the floor. The K1000-08 nutplates on the other side are not under the gas tank, therefore regular round head screws will be used there. I suggest you double check and make sure you dimpled the #19 holes as instructed on Page 21-02 Figure 1.

Always good to ask if you don't understand something.........

Build on!

John

A suggestion re: nutplates

...... I almost noticed them too late. .........

Good Morning Dave,

Great minds - you posted while I was typing! Here is a suggestion to avoid drilling out and reinstalling nutplates because you confused the very similar K1000's with the K1100's. On those pages where both types are used, go through the plans before you start, and use different color highlighters to shade the part numbers. Seperate the K1000's and the K1100's into two bins, also color coded.

Don't ask me how I learned this:eek:.

John

thanks everyone for the replies :)

yes of course that makes sense now 2x is the rivets per nutplate duh !

no need to drill anything out because I haven't done this step yet, which is why I asked here :)
awesome getting help this quickly ! this site rocks :)

and I did suspect that the nutplate difference would be something to do with the tank, it's nice to have it confirmed.
so far the plans have been spot on, anytime I've had a doubt like this, the plans have been right, and it was just my understanding that was at fault.

many thanks everyone.
Tim

Good Morning Dave,

Great minds - you posted while I was typing! Here is a suggestion to avoid drilling out and reinstalling nutplates because you confused the very similar K1000's with the K1100's. On those pages where both types are used, go through the plans before you start, and use different color highlighters to shade the part numbers. Seperate the K1000's and the K1100's into two bins, also color coded.

Don't ask me how I learned this:eek:.

John

The colour coding idea is a great one, I've done that on the plans when there are complicted steps, especially those will all different kinds of rivets.
I have a set of coloured sharpies and I circle or underline each rivet type in a diffferent colour on the plans, then on the part the same way with the same pens.

Also, be aware that there are a couple of tooling holes that are to be ignored. As I recall, the tooling holes are bigger than the standard #6 or #8 holes. -- David

tooling holes

Also, be aware that there are a couple of tooling holes that are to be ignored. As I recall, the tooling holes are bigger than the standard #6 or #8 holes. -- David

yes I saw that, I thought it was strange.
I don't think there have been any other parts that had tooling holes like that where they can be mistaken for rivet holes.

Most are in the middle of the web area or something obvious where parts don't meet.
These are right on the floor edge where you rivet to the rib flanges.

Also, there is 1 hole on each baggage floor, where it rivets to the center section, that lines up with a large hole in the center section (that I think is a space for the landing gear bracket)

The plans have you fill the hole with a rivet, but it's not actually fastening anything, just filling the hole.
So why drill the hole in the first place?
I thought that was odd.

Back