What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 21-14 Trouble

Gandalf

Well Known Member
Well I am a bit befuddled.

I am trying to install the bushings to the fuselage as instructed in 21-14 Step 7, when lo and behold I seem to be missing a hole in the F-1202F and F-1203A bulkheads. I am missing the hole for the superior SB750-10 in the F1203A bulkhead on the left (right side on the picture). Although there is no call for a bushing in the F-1202F, I am missing the corresponding hole in that bulkhead as well.

Did anyone else encounter this problem?

For those who have threaded the openings, can you tell me what goes through these holes?

Thanks,
Jeff

Skyview??

Jeff,

Suspect you have earlier kit. Look at Section 42D which shows these holes (and others) added.

Jim D

I went thru the same thing. You will need to get the conversion kit that is needed to go Skyview. Like Jim says, 42D, which is part of that, shows you where to put the holes. I haven't looked but you may be able to download 42D from Van's site. At this point of my build I don't know what goes thru those holes.

If you have the D180 already in hand, you probably don't need this.

The 1202F also calls for a bushing. All parts and pieces for the sky view conversion come with the new avionics kit at no cost. If you want the conversion but don't want to buy the Sky View yet, then you have to pay for the conversion.

Section 42D

"I haven't looked but you may be able to download 42D from Van's site." As John H speculates, Section 42D is available as a download on the Vans RV12 updates page.

Jeff,

Suspect you have earlier kit. Look at Section 42D which shows these holes (and others) added.

Jim D

Thanks Jim and John! I downloaded and printed out 42D which does indeed give dimensions for drilling the additional holes.

I checked out a completed, painted RV12 today at MFR (one of two built at MFR). Pretty exciting to see the finished product again.

Jeff

Comparing notes...

What is your kit number...just curious. I'm going to check my kit for the same mod when my kit and I are in the same city again in about three weeks. Can't remember if I have those holes in mine as well. I have kit #87.
Buzz J

Buzz,

My kit is 279 and it needed the modifications. So will yours, unless you already have the D180.

What is your kit number...just curious. I'm going to check my kit for the same mod when my kit and I are in the same city again in about three weeks. Can't remember if I have those holes in mine as well. I have kit #87.
Buzz J

Hi Buzz.. I am builder #66 --> wing --> tail --> and now the fuselage. The fuselage parts list says 2008, obviously pre SkyView. Hard to believe anyone is so slow at building eh?

My only excuse is the 62 Jag, the 77 Honda Motorcycle, fishing, house repairs, grandkids ... :)

Jeff

Jeff,
I'm RV12 builder #121. Working on the finish kit.
I like your excuses better than mine! Only thing I'd add to my "wishlist of distractions" is a 1949 John Deere Model "A" restoration. Gotta mow my share of airport grass with something, might as well be a classic!
Dave

Kit # shouldn't have any effect on whether you have to add the holes being discussed.
The difference is when the fuselage kit was shipped.

Excuses

Jeff & Dave,

I can't top those excuses! My only excuse, besides getting older and slower...and five wonderful grandkids, is that I'm a latecomer who got into the game by buying a partially built RV-12 from the original builder who was unable to complete the kit due to life changes. I might add that his workmanship was outstanding, and I am so glad now to be the owner/builder of such a magnificent RV-12 kit! I've been checking/confirming compliance of every step according to the latest set of plans including service bulletins, etc. Yes, I've now completed the gear service bulletin. And, I've now ordered the finish kit, and I plan to install the new Skyview in the future. Any sage advice is greatly appreciated!

Buzz

Jeff & Dave,

I can't top those excuses! My only excuse, besides getting older and slower...and five wonderful grandkids, is that I'm a latecomer who got into the game by buying a partially built RV-12 from the original builder who was unable to complete the kit due to life changes.

Buzz... Welcome to the club. It is helpful when you have ?s to search this forum and then post any unanswered ?s here with the section and page number in the topic heading and to talk to other builders.

Have fun,
Jeff

Thanks, Jeff! My finish kit plans just arrived a few minutes ago....kit due in about two to three weeks! This is a kick!

Buzz

Back