What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 21-13 Step 7 - WD-1210-PC Hole Misalignment

John-G

Well Known Member
While performing step 7 on page 21-13 of the instructions, I was hand twisting a #12 drill bit remove the powder coating from inside the holes on the WD-1210-PC. One of the pairs of tabs has two holes and fortunately, I chose to push the drill bit straight through to remove the powder coating from the opposite hole. I quickly realized there was a hole alignment issue. Had I dressed each hole from the outside, the alignment issue may not have been noticed until way after the WD-1210-PC control column was sealed in place by the fuselage?s corner skins.

DSC05912.JPG

I would highly suggest fellow builders working on the fuselage check their WD-1210-PC control column to ensure all your holes are in good alignment. Sent an Email to Van?s support about this with a photo on Friday, but have not received a reply as of yet.

A friend pointed out one of the tabs is longer than the other. Guessing the tabs must be predrilled prior to welding. One being longer would explain the misalignment.

DSC05938.JPG

It looks as though those two tabs may not be fully welded, although it's a bit hard to be sure from the photo. The weld might be on the other side of the tab, but it wouldn't be the first time that faulty weldments have made it into the kits.

Last edited:
Unacceptable for alignment, but also the fitting of the tabs on the main pipe looks terrible. Also welding looks bad.
I would return this

Jack ? believe it or not, when performing the inventory on the fuselage parts and checking the welds on parts, I noticed the weldments appeared questionable and took photos at that time and forwarded them to Van?s. The reply I received was that the same tabs are used on various aircraft models but the diameter of the control column tubing is different between models ? which is why there is a gap between the tabs and the control column tube. I was assured it was fine and to move on.

Admittedly, I too don?t like the way the weldments look and feel the welder should have put welding beads on both sides of the tabs since they don?t sit nicely on the control column?s tube in the first place. Of course, the better solution is to use tabs that mate correctly to the tube.

All that said, I?m not haranguing on Van?s because thus far, the fit and accuracy of all the RV-12?s parts have been outstanding. Mind boggling in fact. But sometimes in manufacturing, things do happen. Hopefully, my control column hole alignment issue is not part of a whole batch of misaligned units ? which is why I urge other builders take a close look at their WD-1210 control columns before the side skins are riveted in place ... which will make replacement a total drag. Oh, my fuselage kit was delivered around the first of June.

I hope mine is the only bad part and that the new units at Vans don?t have the issue. Unfortunately, until I receive another unit, my RV-12 assembly is on hold ? which is unfortunate because the parts were starting to fly together.

Thanks for the heads up John. I pick up my fuselage kit middle of next month. I'll check for an alignment issue when I inventory.

I couldn't tell from your last post if Van's has agreed to replace the part?

Jim

shoddy fit / weld

The one I got from Vans looked the same, I called vans and they replaced it

shoddy fit / weld

It happens some times.

Check all welds closely

My view

While performing step 7 on page 21-13 of the instructions, I was hand twisting a #12 drill bit remove the powder coating from inside the holes on the WD-1210-PC. One of the pairs of tabs has two holes and fortunately, I chose to push the drill bit straight through to remove the powder coating from the opposite hole. I quickly realized there was a hole alignment issue. Had I dressed each hole from the outside, the alignment issue may not have been noticed until way after the WD-1210-PC control column was sealed in place by the fuselage?s corner skins.

DSC05912.JPG

I would highly suggest fellow builders working on the fuselage check their WD-1210-PC control column to ensure all your holes are in good alignment. Sent an Email to Van?s support about this with a photo on Friday, but have not received a reply as of yet.

A friend pointed out one of the tabs is longer than the other. Guessing the tabs must be predrilled prior to welding. One being longer would explain the misalignment.

DSC05938.JPG

Back