What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 20-03 Center Section Assembly leans back.

BigJohn

Well Known Member
Today I inserted the two AD4 bolts and clamped the center section assembly to the aft bulkhead as instructed, and clecoed to the bottom skin. I loosened the clamps as instructed in Step 2 to allow the parts to align, but they still lean backward. See pictures at http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=BigJohn&project=639&category=0&log=81090&row=1.

This seems odd to me and I'm reluctant to match drill the holes into the thick aluminum until I get some assurance this is as intended. Can anyone help?

John, the "sag" is intended. I too did the square thing and I nearly drilled in the wrong place. The skin on the forward section (what you are matching drilling) needs to be flush with the top of the heavy "I" beam aluminum.

Last edited:
The lean is correct

Ditto- the lean is correct. The bottom skin begins to slope upward as it passes the center section towards the tailcone and hence, the bottom of the aft portion of the center channel sits in a higher plane than the bottom of the foward portion.

Does this angle determine the angle of incidence of the wing? If so, it seems a pretty hit/miss way of making an important alignment. My rear skin is not quite flush with the C-channel, maybe somewhere between 1/32 and 1/64 difference.

Cheers...Keith

Angle of incidence

Does this angle determine the angle of incidence of the wing?
Part F-1206C on page 21-02 Figure 4 and Part F-1203C on page 21-10 Figure 5 have the most influence on the angle of incidence of the wing.
Joe

Thanks

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. Incidentally, the plans (20-03 Figure 1 - revision 0) call for 72 holes to be match drilled. I found 75 holes, and that excludes two larger diameter holes in the clusters of holes at left/right edges.

Cheers...Keith

Back