What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 12, Step 1-3

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
I might be over thinking the below...

sec12.jpg

So this is in reference to the HS tips. If I'm reading this correctly I need to sqaure up the flange which is currently more flared. Ensure the depth is .025 and that the flange length is 1/2 (In this case for the E-912 L/R pieces).

Is that correct? If so I'm going to take about 1/8th of an inch off the flange and before I did that I wanted to double check this is normal.

Technically yes, but it's actually easier than it sounds per the plans. Basically all I did was a quick cleanup of the flange recess to make it relatively square (didn't try to make it perfect) and cut the flange down to 1/2". If it fits without trimming you can just skip that step.

Thanks... wanted to make sure I wasn't over thinking it. Still getting some tools and stuff together for fiberglass. QB kits don't come till March/April so I have some time.

If you have any big pits or voids in the edge after you square it, now is the time to fill and re-sand the edge.

I glassed the seams on the HS for cosmetic reasons, thus covering any defects in the mating surfaces. Although, I really don't recall them being an issue as shipped from the factory.

I glassed the seams on the HS for cosmetic reasons, thus covering any defects in the mating surfaces. Although, I really don't recall them being an issue as shipped from the factory.

I saw that on your build log. I think the newer tips are supposed to be a better/tighter fit. So hopefully I won't have any gaps to glass. If I do though oh well, will learn it then.

It's easy to square up that corner. X-Acto sells a little stenciling tool that would do the trick but you could as easily take the tip off a #11 blade with a bench grinder. Make the end of the blade 90 degrees and you now have a tool that will quickly scrape the corner. Or, in my case, I had a set of used dental tools that I had acquired as a youngster while building plastic models. One of those quickly and easily cleaned up the parts.

As for trimming the part, I just sanded as necessary to get the part to seat fully and drilled the holes in place. Then I marked the trim line and sanded down to it. Probably not necessary but if I'd screwed up a hole, I had some extra edge distance.

Back