What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Second ammeter shunt

219PB

Well Known Member
I have a dual alternator, dual buss system design utilizing Dynon Skyview, VPX Pro, EFII, and Bus Manager. With this system both alternators will be operable continuously. The Dynon system has on input for a ammeter shunt. I would like to monitor the current out of both alternators. Does any have any ideas how I can incorporate this without putting in a standalone ammeter gauge or a second Skyview engine monitor?

I know that I can monitor the voltages on both busses that will give me an indication if an alternator fails but I would like to be able to see real time current to monitor the health of the alternators.

Last edited:
One option is to use a DPDT ON-NONE-ON toggle switch to choose which shunt to connect to the EMS-220.

Yes - review the Sensor Input Mapping section of the SkyView install manual.

While I understand what you want to do, not sure I understand why you want to alternators running all the time. The B&C 30 amp standby alternator is a nice product and comes on line automatically if you loose your primary alternator. This greatly simplifies the install, and if you have a dual battery set up, each feeding half your panel the use of isolation diodes on the output of the standby alternator provides for fault isolation without adding other boxes like a VPX or Buss Manager.

Carl

+1 for the Hall effect sensor. I have a different type, but you get 2 amp different readings at the same time. The setup is not really straightforward, but doable.

I know the GRT CS-01 and CS-02 have been used successfully as a second ammeter input to SV. There are a couple of downsides:

• Those sensors are 0-5V output, so you'll either need to take up a Type C input on your EMS, or you'll need to calibrate it after installation;
  • A known (since 2013) SV bug keeps the second ammeter from showing up in the data logs. See this thread on the Dynon forums for more info. This has no effect on real-time indications; it only complicates things when you're going back through your data.

Back