What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seatback Angle curve

rfchisholm

Did anyone else experience excessive curve to the seatback angles (F-1237C L&R), to where they would not align with the seatbacks? Reference page 26-03.

If so, how would you recommend that I bend them back into alignment?

Angle Master 3000

Do something like this. The seat back angles on the -8 were pretty stout (technical term), so I had to put some tension on the angle and them whack (production term) the lever with a big hammer. They came out straight as an arrow.

68150e20-b9ab-454c-b84f-5710d9c821dc_zps3ba1b39f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Did anyone else experience excessive curve to the seatback angles (F-1237C L&R), to where they would not align with the seatbacks? Reference page 26-03.

If so, how would you recommend that I bend them back into alignment?

Hmmmm. I'm not any help at all...mine fit flawlessly too.
?????

Mine are bowed also

I was planning on working on the seat back frames today and after reading about the seat back angles being bowed, I went out to the shop to check mine. Sad to report my F-1237C angles are also tweaked. I tried to pound on one of them with a soft faced hammer but that did not accomplish much. Really don?t want to get draconian with the hammer so guessing I?ll need to locate a metal press or fabricate one to do the job. Bellow is a photo of my F-1237C angles back to back.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jaOfhArePHg/UlTYXQO-cBI/AAAAAAAAFpA/wca3cnGkwLo/s1600/DSC05258.JPG

Many of the thicker aluminum parts, whether bent or flat, come from Van's in a very slightly bowed condition. I suspect that this is a natural result of their machining/bending operations. Just get out a straight-edge ruler, clamp the piece in a vice (or other device), and carefully add pressure to straighten-out the bow. No big deal, but you really need to check each piece for straightness before it is worked/riveted/installed.

...excessive curve to the seatback angles (F-1237C L&R)...would not align with the seatbacks...

Checked mine and found them to be likewise bowed, about the same amount. However, the "would not align" part proved to be less than absolute. By that I mean they indeed did not line up with the punched holes in the seatbacks, but by finessing the alignment with an awl, then dropping in clecos in sequence, I was easily able to persuade the parts to mate.

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

So then I'll put it out to others wiser than I: Is there any compelling reason for not ignoring the bow as long as the seat goes together and is perfectly nominal in use? Does this then become somewhat of a non-issue?

There are two issues at work here.
The slight bow in the angles, and a slight variation in the bends that produce each corrugation in the seat panel.

Straightening the angles is not necessary. That is why the construction manual doesn't likely mention it.

The easiest way to get it aligned and clecoed is start by clecoing the panel to the angles at each end. Then cleco at the mid point. Then fill in the remainder to get everything aligned enough to insert rivets.

There are two issues at work here.
The slight bow in the angles, and a slight variation in the bends that produce each corrugation in the seat panel.

Straightening the angles is not necessary. That is why the construction manual doesn't likely mention it.

The easiest way to get it aligned and clecoed is start by clecoing the panel to the angles at each end. Then cleco at the mid point. Then fill in the remainder to get everything aligned enough to insert rivets.

Yes sir. That's what I did and they came out beautiful :D

Back