What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat Ribs with "access door"

Rick_A

Well Known Member
The 2 inner most seat ribs (F-716 R&L), called Access Seat Ribs on the plans, have a little "door" (F-716B access plate). It seems to me that adding the "door" to the inboard seat ribs also, would make it much easier to install the stick assembly - the whole assembly could be done outside the plane and installed as a unit. Has anyone done this?

Rick,

If you feel there's an advantage to installing the control column assembled as a unit, go for it. I'm not sure what that advantage would be, since I doubt you'll ever have to remove it once it's installed.

Bad Instructions

Rick,

This is one place where Van's blew it. If you want to install (and remove) the controls as an assembly, you must cut the "door" on four seat ribs, two on either side of center. Just two doesn't provide clearance.

You will be in and out of the fuse, and lying on your back across the spar, head under panel, a LOT. Keeping the controls out of the way until final rigging is being kind to your anatomy. Also, wire routing is easier with the controls removed.

It's immensely easier to assemble all the washers/bolts/bearings, including the tabs for the roll trim wire, on the bench, then hunched over in the dark bowels of the center section, blindly groping to cram in spacer washers. Two tricks (besides needing the extra two doors): You'll need to temporarily position the weldment and mounts to determine the need and placement of spacer washers about the mount bearings to accommodate your particular weldment, then adjust the center pushrod length (can be done on the bench) to get the sticks parallel. Second trick: install all rod eyes. It's a trivial exercise to simply screw pushrods onto a dangling rod eye than fitting the eye/pushrod/washers/screw with the column installed.

Recognize also, there's an order to installing the bolts, because the weldment blocks access for the bolts penetrating the mount bearings.

John Siebold

John, you hit the nail on the head,

That's exactly why I want to add the 2 access doors on the other ribs. In fact, I already put together the whole assembly on the bench before I realized that it would have to come apart to get it in the fuse. You're probably right that I should leave them out altogether - until the panel work mostly done.

The other reason I thought about doing this is that one of the ribs has started to crack right where the cut for the door would be made. I figured a F-716B access plate would be the perfect re-inforcement, but if I were going to do that, why not just make it so it opens.

Regarding the world's smallest wrench. I bought a set of Washer Wrenchs from Avery, $35 but well worth it to me. They sure make it a lot easier to insert washers in those tight spots.

Back