What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat height

DWC7A

I am starting work on my quick build fuse and had a question on the height of the seat back. Several friends have cut the seat back down a couple of inches for clearance of cargo going into the baggage compartment. We all have sliders and there is not a lot of room when the canopy is to the rear and you are loading over the seats. Is this a common practice, if so how much did you cut off? Any problem with upholstery or comfort?

DWC7A
Tomball Texas
Emp and wings done, working on Q-fuse

Aim for the open field!!

I am starting work on my quick build fuse and had a question on the height of the seat back. Several friends have cut the seat back down a couple of inches for clearance of cargo going into the baggage compartment. We all have sliders and there is not a lot of room when the canopy is to the rear and you are loading over the seats. Is this a common practice, if so how much did you cut off? Any problem with upholstery or comfort?

I've never noticed a problem with my std height seat back. I just flop it forward when loading gear.

Meske tip-up slider.

There is an RV builder who designed a way to make your slider tip up from the rear for ease of loading/unloading suitcases. etc. Do a search on "Meske". IIRC, the kit is priced under $200.

Regards,

seat backs

Did not know that Gary. Don't know that I am going to shorten my seat backs or not, just trying to decide. I was under the impression that Oregon Aero and people like that had cushions that sat in the Van's seat backs. This might all be a non issue, but two of my friends with 6's have done this and recomended the same for me. I have seen the tilting kit for the slider but don't know if I want or need to go that far. I threw this out to see what other people have done. Thanks.

DWC7A
Dennis Conner
7A, Emp done, Slow wings 90%, QB fuse in progress.

Aim for the open field.

Did not know that Gary. Don't know that I am going to shorten my seat backs or not, just trying to decide. I was under the impression that Oregon Aero and people like that had cushions that sat in the Van's seat backs. This might all be a non issue, but two of my friends with 6's have done this and recomended the same for me. I have seen the tilting kit for the slider but don't know if I want or need to go that far. I threw this out to see what other people have done. Thanks.

I don't know about Oregon Aero, but Classic Aero Designs has two models. The cheaper ( but still great looking) Sportsman uses Van's seat backs. The Aviator has it's own back built in. The normal size of the Sportsman uses the full Van's seat back. I have a "6" and left the backs as is. I like them that way; and don't feel it's a problem to get things in the back, when the seat is tipped forward.

However................. I'm only 57, and a friend who is 62 is thinking of getting the tip/slider option for his "9"; as his back aches a bit when loading luggage. I guess this is what happens when you reach 60+ :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back