What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat covers - Fire retardant?

Drippy

Well Known Member
Guys,

Any feedback on flame treated leather vs standard leather seats? I dropped my seats off with a local guy who does boats and aircraft and he asked the question. I figured fire retardant would be good but question if it is needed.

Thanks ahead of time for the comments.

Mike
RV10

Mike, interior materials treated to comply with FAR 23.853 self extinguish after the heat source is removed. They generally burn quite well given a separately fueled flame source.

In an RV we have pretty good control of the passengers, so it's unlikely any of them will set the seats on fire. In a crash, you can't control the flame source anyway. I don't see much value in flame retardant leather.

(ii) Floor covering, textiles (including draperies and upholstery), seat cushions, padding, decorative and nondecorative coated fabrics, leather, trays and galley furnishings, electrical conduit, thermal and acoustical insulation and insulation covering, air ducting, joint and edge covering, cargo compartment liners, insulation blankets, cargo covers and transparencies, molded and thermoformed parts, air ducting joints, and trim strips (decorative and chafing), that are constructed of materials not covered in paragraph (d)(3)(iv) of this section must be self extinguishing when tested vertically in accordance with the applicable portions of appendix F of this part or other approved equivalent methods. The average burn length may not exceed 8 inches and the average flame time after removal of the flame source may not exceed 15 seconds. Drippings from the test specimen may not continue to flame for more than an average of 5 seconds after falling.

Back