What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

seat belts...?

Crow

Crow
goodjob.gif

Nothing Holds You Like a Hooker!

My wife had her first flight in my -8 on Saturday. One of her comments was that "These hookers sure hold you snugly..." We both got a laugh out of that one...

5 pt option

If you go with a 5 point set-up (I think most people do) you also need to get the Crotch Strap mount kit from Vans. The dimensions (for the space between the brackets) is given for Van's seat belts. If you get the Hooker belts, you have to adjust the spacing or grind down the mount bushings on the Crotch strap.

Van's too.

People are plugging other suppliers, which is fine. But there is also nothing wrong with Van's belts for the -7. Note that if you buy a non-Van's belt, the different suppliers do not use the same size bolts for the installation, so find out from others what you need to order or modify.

Van's has the typical auto-style buckling latch. Others with have the two military or racing style variants for the latch. The Van's buckle style is very easy to use and light weight. They lack fancy stitching or padding, but they are comfortable, and you'll probably save a few bucks.

The color belts would typically be something you'll want to match with your interior finishing options, so they don't come with the kit.

Last edited:
van's belt pics

DSCN1240.sized.jpg

Here's what a Van's belt looks like out of the package. (Note that this particular one is not actually for a -7, but looks the same.)
DSCN0288.sized.jpg

Amsafe

I went with Amsafe belts, crotch strap and inertial reel shoulder harnesses for comfort and convenience. Very similar to what Vans sells, but with an inertial real for the shoulders and rotary buckle latching system.

What I'm about to say may be heresy to some, but I have found the "aerobatic" harnesses like the hookers with padding to be very cumbersome and uncomfortable and that it made twisting to look behind you punitive. I like to look around a lot and I don't plan on negative g or gyroscopic aerobatics. Further, from what I've heard, even with the heavy duty belts and crotch straps, you'll still bash your head on the canopy during bumpy turbulence! (have to rethink the pike helmet headsets:D)

I'll tell you how the inertial reel shoulder harnesses are when I'm flying...DAR is coming on the
23rd!:)

Jeremy Constant
RV7A 0 hrs, but that will change soon!

Talk to Crow. They are very familiar with RVs and will give you what you want. Really nice quality at half the price of Hooker. Don

My wife gave me a pair of Hookers (with cam loc's) for Christmas and they work. Of course, I haven't put them to the test yet. Next time I crash the plane, I'll let you know how well they work. :D

I have the Vans belts and they can't handle bubba's on the heavy side !!!! Lap belts are to short if you know what I mean. I don't know if the newer ones are any longer?

I went with Amsafe belts, crotch strap and inertial reel shoulder harnesses for comfort and convenience. Very similar to what Vans sells, but with an inertial real for the shoulders and rotary buckle latching system.

Jeremy Constant
RV7A 0 hrs, but that will change soon!

Jeremy,

Who was your supplier for the AmSafe belts in your plane? I've looking for just that combination for my -7A. I've been using those supplied by Vans for the last 4 years, which do the job. I've just gotten "spoiled" by the top notch AmSafe brand belts that are used in the corporate turbine aircraft I fly for work.

Mike

C.A.D.

Hi Don,

Could you tell me what interior kit that is? Looks nice!

Thanks. A nice interior was essential to make the wife unit happy. It's a Classic Aero interior, sportsman edition. Not to hijack the thread, but CAD has great service and a great product. The seats have also proven to be very comfortable for long flights (4+ hours).

Back