What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat Belt extensions

Bob Martin

Well Known Member
I am a Bubba and my seat belt is tight around my hips/belly with winter clothing.
Is there a belt extension that can be purchased. I have standard belts from Vans 1990's.. I don't see anything on the Van's store. Anyone know the brand that I might go directly to the source?
Also thought about just adding a metal extension to the mounting bolt, as I am sure 2 inches would do it.
I can't be the first or only one needing this....any suggestions?
Thanks

I know they don't have to be TSO'd in an experimental plane, but since they're north of 30 years old have you considered just replacing them? If so, Crow will make belts extra long belts if you ask.

Belts

I know they don't have to be TSO'd in an experimental plane, but since they're north of 30 years old have you considered just replacing them? If so, Crow will make belts extra long belts if you ask.

Thank You.....I had heard of CROW....but after checking them out, they actually have RV seat belts and as you said, will make custom sizes, colors and buckles etc.
Thanks again

Belts

If you are having trouble getting one that fits from Vans, maybe you can try to find it from Summit Racing. It sells a wide variety of 5-point racing harness in different mounting configurations. They all have the quick release and I suspect they got used a lot more often for emergency egress than the aircraft application.

https://www.summitracing.com/search...at-belts-harnesses/part-type/racing-harnesses

Good luck

Thanks for this info.......never thought of Summit except for fittings...
They do look good but CROW actually say it is for my RV6 and prices look similar too. Thanks again.

What the Airlines Do ...

The airlines just use a short "jumper" belt - Male x Female connector with a short belt in between (6-12" long).

If you have an older style (pull buckle open) belt, something like this could work.

Just find a belt maker that would make this mod ...

YMMV - but I have seen these on commercial airliners.

HFS

Crow with Kam Lock

Bob,

Am very happy with my Crow belts and the Kam Lock is well worth the extra money, especially if you're larger than the FAA standard 170 lb aviator.

Re: Lifetime. The least stringent auto racing sanctioning organization (FIA) specifies a five year lifetime for racing belts/harnesses (SFI is two years). Aircraft belts protected from UV damage can be expected to have a longer lifetime.

I know that for certain classes, the NHRA limit is two calendar years from date of manufacture. No clue what the life is on ours at work, as they are part of the parachute system.

I know that for certain classes, the NHRA limit is two calendar years from date of manufacture. No clue what the life is on ours at work, as they are part of the parachute system.

For certified airplanes, they have a TSO tag sewn in that drives the life limit requirement. I want to say it's 10 years. Weird designs with integral airbags or parachutes may change that.

For experimental airplanes, since they don't have to use TSO components, there is essentially no time limit, but 10 years seems pretty reasonable, I mean, we all know that UV degradation is a real thing.

Terry: Ours are dictated by a combination of inspection requirements, manufacturer requirements and tech orders. For us, a torn data label or a certain amount of pulled or cut stitching is an automatic condemnation. Certain types of staining will get them changed as well. If the seat goes bang, we have some pretty tight limits.

Back