What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

seat back hinges

stigaro

Well Known Member
I'd like to confirm what I'm doing appears correct. The seat back hinges that mount on the floor consist of 6 - 10.5" pieces of AN257-P3 hinge (1 1/4" wide). There are also 2 -10.5" long pieces that mount on the bottom of the seat backs that are also -P3 hinge. The top of the seat backs have two pieces of -P2 hinge (1 1/16" wide) that are 12.5" and 13.5" respectively.

I'm curious what the note on the top of the page referring to keeping enough hinge for the seatbacks in Section 39 refers to? That page only requires 2 x 10.5" lengths of AN257-P3 and 4 pieces of AN257-P2 hinge. So it's two different hinges, correct? Why would I run out of -P3?

Attachments

• FloorHinge.jpg
    FloorHinge.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 30
  • seatback.jpg
    seatback.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 22
I'd like to confirm what I'm doing appears correct. The seat back hinges that mount on the floor consist of 6 - 10.5" pieces of AN257-P3 hinge (1 1/4" wide). There are also 2 -10.5" long pieces that mount on the bottom of the seat backs that are also -P3 hinge. The top of the seat backs have two pieces of -P2 hinge (1 1/16" wide) that are 12.5" and 13.5" respectively.

I'm curious what the note on the top of the page referring to keeping enough hinge for the seatbacks in Section 39 refers to? That page only requires 2 x 10.5" lengths of AN257-P3 and 4 pieces of AN257-P2 hinge. So it's two different hinges, correct? Why would I run out of -P3?

Refer to Section 4 of the -14 plans, search for AN257-P3. You will see that it "lives" in 5 different places.

With multiple uses, you have to be careful not to cut short segments from long pieces. You can get to the end, need a longer piece, and only have multiple short scraps. A little forward planning solves it.

Another consideration is your choice of interior - in my case Classic Aero - for seats. The CA seat back has a forward offset of the bottom hinge. Simply, where a Vans seat back might mount in the middle hinge, the CA will be in the forward one for the same seat angle. Also, the CA back is wider at the bottom by one additional hinge loop pair on each side (+2”). The kit build works just fine (I learned this all on my first build per plans) but in my second, I’ve put longer floor hinge segments for the 2 forward points to match the CA backs.

You don’t need to build the kit seat backs if you have CA seats coming, but I built them and used them during construction - they are now hangar art.

With multiple uses, you have to be careful not to cut short segments from long pieces. You can get to the end, need a longer piece, and only have multiple short scraps. A little forward planning solves it.

Another consideration is your choice of interior - in my case Classic Aero - for seats. The CA seat back has a forward offset of the bottom hinge. Simply, where a Vans seat back might mount in the middle hinge, the CA will be in the forward one for the same seat angle. Also, the CA back is wider at the bottom by one additional hinge loop pair on each side (+2”). The kit build works just fine (I learned this all on my first build per plans) but in my second, I’ve put longer floor hinge segments for the 2 forward points to match the CA backs.

You don’t need to build the kit seat backs if you have CA seats coming, but I built them and used them during construction - they are now hangar art.

Thank you. I was not aware of the subtleties of the Classic Aero interior. After I cut both sides of a 6' length of P3 hinge into 6 - 10.5" long sections, I realized I could have done this using a 3' piece instead (or at least only one half of the 6' length). But I can always get more hinge if needed.

Seat backs

I have two completed seat backs from my 14 build. If anyone doesn’t want to build them please make me an offer for them.

I found I had **just** enough hinge material for all the required parts by about one eyelet worth. So be careful and plan the cuts out.

https://tasrv14.blogspot.com/2023/12/32-04-08-baggage-floor-side-skins-flap.html?m=1

It was actually your blog that got me thinking about this. The upper seat back uses the -P2 hinge while the lower hinges on the floor are -P3. I used up all my -P3 for the bottom hinges, but the finish kit includes some -P2, I believe for the upper hinges. It looked like you used -P3 for both top and bottom?

Back