What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sears workbench

diamond

Well Known Member
What do you guys think of this workbench as an alternate to the EAA bench?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00914644000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

The appeal to me is a nice clean look and the ability to sit and have plenty of leg room when I'm working. You may even be able to screw castors into the legs for portability as well. The price certainly looks good. The ratings on the Sears website seem really good. Any one using these for RV building? Thoughts?

Mark

As long as you can bolt your heavy vise to the table top and not have the table scoot across the floor while filing. It looks promising.
You could modify the frame to add a lower shelf as well.

Two workbenches

I have two workbenches, one with a vice that I do mechanical work on, and one a building bench that I built the tanks, ailerons, flaps empennage and currently parts of the fuselage.

The building bench was build specifically for the purpose, with steel legs, plywood top and a shelf. When I read the bit in the instructions about a REALLY FLAT building surface for the ailerons, flaps etc. I built an additional 8 ft long top from 2"x4" aluminum channel and 2 x 3/4" MDF top surface. It has been great. Stable and doesn't warp, but a bit pricey. Added electrical outlets in the steel legs.

Your Sears Bench looks OK, seems to have a steel frame so it should be stable and flat.

Back