What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sean Strasburg

dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
I would like some guidance. I want to consider the door latch I see associated with Sean Strasburg and Planearound. I may have this wrong or mis informed. I apologize if the name or spelling offends anyone. Not intended. I am at the canoe phase with my 10 and need to consider a better the stock door latch system. What site do I look at to purchase this upgrade?

Dennis, Planearound.com

My thoughts.....i installed Sean's system, and it is well engineered and crafted. I just flew five hours in the factory 410RV, and it is also clear that stock doors, properly built and operated, work just fine too. For my next -10 (joke) I will go with Sean's guide blocks and split the racks in half in order to get 180 degrees of throw, and I will do a couple of epoxy pours in the center of the door to add stiffness. I would pass on the center cam assembly.....mine doesn't do anything. Doors close properly without the cam ever engaging the retainer. I know that there are other opinions, just offering this as my own view.

Andy

Last edited:
I would like some guidance. I want to consider the door latch I see associated with Sean Strasburg and Planearound. I may have this wrong or mis informed. I apologize if the name or spelling offends anyone. Not intended. I am at the canoe phase with my 10 and need to consider a better the stock door latch system. What site do I look at to purchase this upgrade?

Planearound.com

Dennis, Planearound.com

My thoughts.....i installed Sean's system, and it is well engineered and crafted. I just flew five hours in the factory 410RV, and it is also clear that stock doors, properly built and operated, work just fine too. For my next -10 (joke) I will go with Sean's guide blocks and split the racks in half in order to get 180 degrees of throw, and I will do a couple of epoxy pours in the center of the door to add stiffness. I would pass on the center cam assembly.....mine doesn't do anything. Doors close properly without the cam ever engaging the retainer. I know that there are other opinions, just offering this as my own view.

Andy

I installed the 180 degree kit from Planearound and love it. I'll disagree with Andy a bit in that I really like the center cam mechanism. I installed the McMasterCarr door seals and made certain that I created a perfect gap all around so the seals work properly. Because of this, the cam does a beautiful job of overcoming the door seal pressure and "sucking" the door closed while the pins engage the door frame. Very elegant system and worth the install. Much like Andy, I just put 7 hours on the factory -10 with Mike Seager and the stock system also works just fine. It's a bit clumsy when you exit (since you have to unlatch an extra locking mechanism) but it is fine.

Found Planearound on the net. Where is McMastercarr door seals

Search the forums for the door seal issue. Between the seals and the door kit, I took a significant departure from the plans that involved A LOT of time but I haven't met anyone who regrets that decision.

David

I am also a Planearound customer

I bought the 180 degree kit with the cam lock plus the special pins and nylon retainers (I don't think I named all these items properly). They look like high quality parts, and the instructions are excellent.

I have read too many stories about doors flying off. I have flown in a friends RV-10 and he tells me his door flew off. He said the "door not closed light" was lit and he noticed it while taking off. So he was going to go arounnd and land but didn't make it. I know that Van's says if the door is properly closed you don't have a problem. Remember there is a passenger door too, and most people closing that door will not know what they are doing.

It is more work, no question. I also went with the McMaster Carr seal.

I am not flying yet.

Go with the latch

I too am literally in the middle of this this weekend. Both the mcmaster carr seals and Sean's 3rd latch. The seals add quite a bit of work but worth it in the end for a better finished product.
As for the 3rd latch. The best part is that if you get the timing right on the blocks with the cam, like in one of Sean's videos, the cam will engage and start to pull the door in before the pins start to exit the door. This makes the whole system really fool proof the door is either fall there way open, or all the way closed, there's no way it can be "partly" closed.... got both doors done start to finish in 2 days. (adding the 3rd latch and changing the seals) Some sanding and finishing today....
Van's solution that requires 2 hands.... pretty ghetto IMO......:eek:

Passenger door

I bought the 180 degree kit with the cam lock plus the special pins and nylon retainers (I don't think I named all these items properly). They look like high quality parts, and the instructions are excellent.

I have read too many stories about doors flying off. I have flown in a friends RV-10 and he tells me his door flew off. He said the "door not closed light" was lit and he noticed it while taking off. So he was going to go arounnd and land but didn't make it. I know that Van's says if the door is properly closed you don't have a problem. Remember there is a passenger door too, and most people closing that door will not know what they are doing.

It is more work, no question. I also went with the McMaster Carr seal.

I am not flying yet.

It is good practice to always close all doors yourself. You would not delegate any other critical procedures to your passenger, why would you let a passenger close and latch the door, no matter what system you may have.

Gary

Sean's products are first class. I suggest ordering all of his products from door kit to led lights to go pro mount. Not only great product but great guy with good support. I cannot imagine doors without his kit as it is a complete redundant system with multiple benefits. Mike Seager's training also reinforces no one closes the doors but PIC...good policy.

Back