What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sealing the baffle on the tank

Don Patrick

Well Known Member
For those of you that had to seal the tanks, the rivet line on the skin of the tank of course gets a layer of proseal, but, how much did anyone put on the rib flanges? Just a dab for the rivet holes?

I want to avoid any pillowing effect, so I'm guessing just a dab for the holes.
Much thanks

Baffle

I can't remember for certain but I think i just placed some proseal at each hole on the rib flange. I did put a thin layer between each bracket and the baffle and also dipped each pop rivet in proseal prior to setting.

I do remember that I clecoed the baffle to ribs at each hole when the proseal was very soft and then set the skinto baffle rivets prior to setting any rivets in the ribs. I had difficulty maintaining alignment between the skin and the baffle. If you are out of alignment a little, the manufactured head wants to tip a little resulting in proud rivets. I think if (when) I do another, I'll consider dimpling the skin and baffle so that they self align. I know others have dimpled by mistake and they were able to install the baffle without much reported trouble.

not just a dab....

you want to coat the rib flanges with nice thick layer of sealant......think like icing a cake or a doughnut. Just on the flanges though....and only on the parts of the flange that have holes for rivets. If I am not being clear enough feel free to give me a call during work hours and I will try to help.
Cheers..
Evan Johnson
(530)351-1776

I second that

you want to coat the rib flanges with nice thick layer of sealant......think like icing a cake or a doughnut. Just on the flanges though....and only on the parts of the flange that have holes for rivets. If I am not being clear enough feel free to give me a call during work hours and I will try to help.
Cheers..
Evan Johnson
(530)351-1776

The thicker the better you won't regret. I didn't listen :eek:

Back