What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sealing Lycoming IO 360 case halves

N601RX

I would like to hear builders experiences with the 2 different methods of sealing the case halves. Silk thread or loctite 515? Also what gasket dressing have people used on the gaskets around the sump and accessory case and accessory case and accessories.

I use proseal. It works extremely well. I will never do another engine any other way. And contrary to popular belief the sealed surfaces will come apart without too much effort as I tried on some test chunks of aluminum. I also used it on all gaskets that don't normally come off, like the sump and accessory case.

I tend to agree with Bob on this one. ProSeal is great.

If you're concerned about "gluing" the halves too tightly, you can do as I did. Use the thread technique just like we have for years, then simply run a bead of ProSeal over the joints. You can paint over it and it will barely show as it self levels and smooths itself.

Seems to have worked fine and eliminated a few potential leaks.... goodness knows we have plenty of those on these engines.

Back