What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seal for Slider

jswareiv

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a good method of securing the rubber gasket on the canopy where it meets the front windshield? I keep using the adhesive and it keeps coming off. Maybe a fabricated piece that includes some sort of aluminum that can be screwed into the canopy to keep it from coming down. Any ideas?

What seal?

Does anyone have a good method of securing the rubber gasket on the canopy where it meets the front windshield? I keep using the adhesive and it keeps coming off. Maybe a fabricated piece that includes some sort of aluminum that can be screwed into the canopy to keep it from coming down. Any ideas?

Interesting, I'll have to look at my plans, but I don't recall a seal being there.
After the canopy is fitted and the glass is laid up to cover the joint, it is a very tight fit (at least the two times I have done it).

I considered putting a bit of seal there, but never needed it.

If you feel you truly need a seal, I would use gasket material from a tube. Clean and roughen one edge and put mold release on the other. Lay a bead of material, then close the canopy. Let set, then pop it open and trim to suit. Should make a perfect seal.

Just MHO.

What Doug said

3M weatherstrip adhesive a.k.a Gorilla Snot. Amazing stuff. On a clean, rough surface it will hold like a champ.

A little more detail. I bought a length of "V" shaped seal from JC Whitney (they have lots of shapes with dimensions) and bonded it to the roll bar. To do this you must have the seal BEFORE you fit the canopy so you have the correct space between roll bar and canopy frame for the compressed seal. Too little space and the canopy won't close, too big and whats the point? I've had this on my plane from the beginning so I can't say if it is better than nothing but I have very little air leakage and I can fly in rain without getting wet!

Doug

I didn't install a gasket. In my experience, I get no water leakage when inflight. When I'm parked on the ramp or waiting to takeoff in the rain, it leaks quite a bit with the canopy locked.

Put the seal on the windshield side of the joint

Put the seal on the windshield side of the joint not on the sliding canopy leading edge. At this location I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive to bond white "P" strip from Aircraft Spruce to the joint between the roll bar and the fiberglass flange that overlaps the sliding canopy when closed. I did this after the canopy installation was complete and it has worked perfectly since newly installed long before the first flight in March of 2004. Mine is an RV-6A and all of the canopy structure is made from round tubes so your experience may differ.

Bob Axsom

Back