What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

seal and gasket

jay.pearlman

Well Known Member
There is much discussion of sealing access panels on the top of the forward skin. Pro-seal seams to be the suggested sealant/gasket, formed in place. Has anyone sealed with RTV? What should the thickness be for a watertight seal?
What are the alternatives?

One of the advantages of proseal is that it is paintable.
Be careful with silicone sealer, as it will cause unseen painting problems if not cleaned off.

Sorry I can't help with the thickness question.

(sorry for the repeat info....that rocketbob is a rocket on the keyboard)

Last edited:
I've always done it with ProSeal... I have pictures of the panels if you need them...

There is much discussion of sealing access panels on the top of the forward skin. Pro-seal seams to be the suggested sealant/gasket, formed in place. Has anyone sealed with RTV? What should the thickness be for a watertight seal?
What are the alternatives?

I did mine with Proseal (flamemaster standard stuff), and they DO leak a very tiny bit if left out in the rain. We're getting ready to strip off the proseal and try something else and/or more thickness. The proseal thickness on mine is about 1/16". I may try Bob's suggested product.

seal

I may run a test with the stuff that Bob recommends. I suppose I could use it to seal the lid of a box, then immerse it in water for a few hours. I would probably have to simulate driving rain. I need to think about how to do that.

I may run a test with the stuff that Bob recommends. I suppose I could use it to seal the lid of a box, then immerse it in water for a few hours. I would probably have to simulate driving rain. I need to think about how to do that.

Valid test would be "lid of a box" with the same hatch material and fastener design spacing as intended.

OR, you could just wait for me to do it in the next month or so :).

Just to buck the trend here:

I used RTV and it works fine. Cover any area susceptible to unwanted RTV with tape and you are good to go. I laid down a bead on the backing plate, covered the bottom of the cover plate with packing tape, and screwed it down until it looked flush. Cook til done, remove from oven :)

Erich

choices

Bob,
I noted on the site that the material you recommended was for door seals. There is also a similar material - same manufacturer - for access plates. Any experience with the differences?
Jay

Back