What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SE Michigan RV-12?

s10sakota

Well Known Member
Hi Rv-12ers!

Are there any RV-12 builders or owners of a flying RV-12 who live in the SE Michigan area? I'm located at 9G2 which is about 10 miles South of Flint, MI.

I wanted to make a video comparing the RV-12 to the Zenith Cruzer. It would be great to highlight both airplanes in the video and compare and contrast them. If you have a flying airplane, it would be nice to get some flying footage. I have a Zenith Cruzer, so that part is covered.

Why? Probably none of you have seen my Kitplane Enthusiast YouTube channel, but I've documented the build of my Zenith Cruzer which I finished in 2020. Now sometimes I'll mount GoPros to the plane and make flying videos which I hope motivate other builders to keep building. I've also documented the build of my Zenith Super Duty from crate to its current status of "90% done, 90% to go."

Well because of my videos I get a lot of emails with questions from viewers. A very common question I get is my thoughts on the Cruzer vs the RV-12.

I can't really offer my comparisons or thoughts because I'm not familiar with the RV-12. I thought it would fun and educational to make a video comparing the two airplanes. Of course I'm bias towards the Zenith (I have two of them!) but I'd like to make the video as un-bias as possible and show an RV-12 project or flying airplane in the video. It would also be great to talk to someone on camera about their RV-12.

Any takers? Hopefully making a video like this will highlight both airplanes in a positive way and help people make their decision on which one to build.

Thanks!
Mark Pensenstadler
[email protected]
https://www.youtube.com/@KitplaneEnthusiast

Hopefully making a video like this will highlight both airplanes in a positive way and help people make their decision on which one to build.

They are very different aircraft that satisfy different missions.

I share a hangar with a Zenith 750 Cruzer. Needless to say we fly together in the two aircraft often.

When flying to Sun 'n Fun we went in the RV-12iS equipped with Garmin avionics (specifically Garmin autopilot). The higher cruise speed and rock solid autopilot made the long trip much more enjoyable.

When flying to short and/or grass airstrips we fly the Zenith. It has impeccable short field capability and the larger tires on the Zenith make grass less of a worry.

The Zenith cruises at 95 kts TAS with a 3.2 gph fuel burn. The RV-12iS cruises at 109 kts TAS with a 4.0 gph fuel burn. Alone in the 12iS I can climb at close to 1,000 fpm while the Zenith, with two onboard, gets 1,000 fpm easily. Takeoff and landing distances are also very different. The Zenith can keep both under 300 feet while the 12iS requires 700 feet (often 1,000 feet). Obviously the Zenith has doors while the 12 requires a step up onto the wing (however the door entry still requires some gymnastic maneuvering). The 12 is set at 1,320 pounds while the Zenith can be registered at varying gross weights depending upon builder preferences. The Zenith is always EAB whereas the 12 can be EAB, E-LSA or SLSA. The 12 has very good views with the canopy and forward of the wings but the Zenith with bubble doors has a view in every direction. Looking to the ground the Zenith is like popping your head out the side of an open door helicopter!

I can give you positives all day on both aircraft! It just comes down to what you want in a personal airplane.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

There are a couple of 12’s at Ray. I’ve borrowed one to fly Young Eagles all summer, so I’m sure something can be arranged. Send me a PM.

Dennis Glaeser

There is a nice 12 at KTEW. I don’t have his contact info and not sure if he is on the forum. If you can’t find another one let me know and I will see if can get in touch with him.

Back