What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SDS TDC adjustment precedure ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Ross, is it possible to make the TDC adjustments by simply using the starter with no plugs as an initial calibration. This eliminates the need for a prop etc. It would be nice to initialize as much as possible in the shop before moving to the airport. I can be cold here.

If you used our CNC'd drilling jigs for the magnets, you can enter 97 for primary and 88 for backup in Magnet Position. If using a single system with single element Hall sensor, enter 92.

With dual systems, be sure top most sensor cable goes to top most board, usually denoted green. Backup cable to lower, marked red.

Last edited:
Another Timing Question

If you used or CNC'd drilling jigs for the magnets, you can enter 97 for primary and 88 for backup in Magnet Position. If using a single system with single element Hall sensor, enter 92.

With dual systems, be sure top most sensor cable goes to top most board, usually denoted green. Backup cable to lower, marked red.

I thought I read somewhere that using your jig negated the requirement to verify the timing with a timing light.
The thought of that operation leaves me a bit uneasy…
Prop spinning in the dark, strobe flashing, trying to see a timing mark 6 feet away, a helper involved since I only have 2 hands and one set of (oldish) eyes
Yeah, uneasy…

He just stated that the timing light is not needed if you use the magnet jig...the numbers he gave are entered on the control head.
Anyway the strobe could be mounted on the engine case and adjustments would be made from the cockpit

Last edited:
CPi2 user here... IO-540

I used the magnet drilling jig and the CNC parts to hold the Hall sensors. Later I got around to using the timing light to verify the settings and the values I got were different than the factory numbers. Not very much different, but different.

IMO this timing does need to be verified, for whatever mechanical reason not readily apparent.

Yes, I plan on verifying it too, but the light will be secured and I will observe from the cockpit, I have a abundance of respect for propellers. They scare the heck out of me.

Remote it

There are ways to remote the timing mark and the index to a more visible location that one can observe standing in front of the wing but well away from the prop. Seeing it from inside the cockpit at least in a -10 is not really practical IMO.

You might use a wifi boroscope to observe it from the safety of the cockpit I imagine.

What ever way keeps you well away from a spinning prop. They don't care if you're in the way. I have a 7A and I can clearly see the flywheel from the cockpit. When I was in A&P school in the stone age they tried to get me to hand prop a engine on a stand. I flatly refused. Until the last decade I worked on planes that didn't have propellers.

Last edited:
I used the magnet drilling jig and the CNC parts to hold the Hall sensors. Later I got around to using the timing light to verify the settings and the values I got were different than the factory numbers. Not very much different, but different.

IMO this timing does need to be verified, for whatever mechanical reason not readily apparent.

My experience was identical to yours. A couple of degrees difference even though drilling jig was used.

There are ways to remote the timing mark and the index to a more visible location that one can observe standing in front of the wing but well away from the prop. Seeing it from inside the cockpit at least in a -10 is not really practical IMO.

You might use a wifi boroscope to observe it from the safety of the cockpit I imagine.

Also agree. It’s not that difficult nor terribly dangerous to verify the timing with a light. I used a strong, wide platform and had someone I trust completely inside starting the engine and changing the magnet settings. Took longer to get setup to do the work than actually adjust the settings. We used hand signals and it was very quick.

I’m pretty risk averse and very aware of the spinning prop. As you said, you can remain safely away from the prop and still see the timing marks.

Nobody likes standing close to a spinning prop which is why after several customers reported their Magnet Position values to us and they agreed with what we were seeing, we removed the parts about checking timing with a light a quite few years back. Also note, we had transposed some of the values on early Lycoming kits, having 88 and 97 entered primary/backup. Should be 97/88. Issued a SB and tried to contact all who were affected.

We are not sure why some people are finding variations in timing when observing with a light. The drill jig puts the magnet hole in the same place every time, based off the factory T/C mark on the back of the flywheel and the 12 tooling holes where the jig bolts to.

A variation of perhaps 1 degree is possible with different magnet air gaps to the sensor as the magnetic field is toroid shaped and air gap will slightly change the point where the edge of the field triggers the Hall Effect.

I've checked a few and never seen it off more than 1 degree.

If you wish to check with a timing gun, you need to be in a shaded place and on some RVs can stand up in the cockpit (sliders anyway) to observe without being anywhere close to the prop. You can also tape a video camera on top of the cowling to check. Put a white or silver piece of tape on the timing mark you'll be using. Black tape on either side of this for more contrast. You generally will see nothing in bright sunlight on a stock, flywheel.

The case split is the reference mark and you will probably have to project this forward with some sort of pointer closer to the flywheel to avoid parallax error.

Be sure to set ECU timing value the same as where you have a timing mark on the flywheel, (say 10 deg BTDC) at the rpms you are checking at (very important or the whole process is invalid). We recommend setting 750, 1000 and 1100 rpm at 10 deg and idle the engine at 900-1000. Also be sure MAP retard/ advance values are set to 0 so they don't modify timing.

Be sure to swap the inductive gun pickup to the correct plug when you check the other ECU. Magnet Position is different on each ECU in a dual setup.

Be sure your primary (green) Hall cable goes to the top most ECU, red cable to lower ECU. Timing will be way off if these are transposed. You'll have a huge mag drop and high CHTs usually.

If you drilled your flywheel using the wrong hole, timing is likely to be 30 deg off. It will run run horribly or kick back usually.

Don't swap a 360 flywheel onto a 320. There is a master lug location difference plus the holes are bigger on 360s.

I mention all of these points because someone or several people have made one or all of these mistakes.

To answer Larry's original question, we recently had a Franklin owner set Magnet Position statically and found it was 3 deg advanced when checked with a light after reporting high CHTs. All was well after the proper timing was dialed in.

Ok, the photo isn't an RV but it gives you an idea of how this can be done safely if you want to check Magnet Position accuracy. Note back of the airplane is in the shadow of the hangar.

Attachments

• kyle192.jpg
    kyle192.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
On dual ECUs the top most board (closest to the lid) is primary, lower is backup.

Hall cables should be marked green for primary and red for backup. If not marked, upper most cable is primary.

Colors for wires to Hall sensors on DB9:

pin 5 orange
pin 4 white
pin 3 blue
pin 8 green

Back