What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SDS EFI Version 29 Software Release

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
We've just finished testing V29 software and this will be shipping in new ECUs starting next week.

Highlights of improvements and new features over V26-V28:

1. New LOP function tied to ignition advance switch. This can be configured to either just advance timing a programmable amount at the flick of a switch after manually leaning or simultaneously advancing timing and leaning a programmable percentage. There is a hard MAP limit imposed to negate both functions above about 75% power for some protection against forgetting the switch positions near WOT and low altitudes.

leanen_zpsnwlbx6s8.jpg

Leaning with ignition advance

lsw1_zpsnmdgb8mm.jpg

Window to set the percentage to lean- up to 65%

2. Select Gauge 1 or Gauge 4 toggling from programming location. You can now select the default Gauge mode to return to when programming parameters, either Gauge 1 or Gauge 4. This will be much more convenient for programming fuel parameters where AFR information is required.

3. Cranking enrichment has been upgraded from a max 32mS pulse to 64mS, effectively doubling the possible amount of fuel for cold starting in extremely low temperatures (below -25C). Still programmed at each temperature set point but now effective to values exceeding 220.

4. Automatic barometric compensation with altitude, regardless of MAP. Flight testing by Dave Anders uncovered the need to correct for this variable when flying in the oxygen levels. New ECUs contain a baro sensor in addition to the external MAP sensor.

5. Selectable blending of IAT and ET (CHT) sensors. These no longer need to be used as pre-set pairs. Selectable in setup mode along with C of F units.

In case anyone missed it, we now have individual cylinder fuel trim for 6 cylinder engines as well.

We're about out of ideas for the moment on how to improve the system much more until unleaded avgas comes to be.

Thanks to all of our customers and testers for the feedback and ideas which made V29 possible.

Hey Ross,
Can I use this software update with the EFII setup that I have from from Robert?

Thanks,
Mark

Hey Ross,
Can I use this software update with the EFII setup that I have from from Robert?

Thanks,
Mark

The ECUs can be reflashed but I'm not sure how the EFII dual ECUs are arranged- chore and switch gear wise plus some earlier ECUs used external coil drivers also. There are a number of hardware/ wiring differences outside the ECUs as well which would have to be considered before we could say yes or no.

6 cylinder setups are even more problematical since we use different coil packs.

I wouldn't want to try it until all things are thought through and thoroughly tested.

So if I understand using this LOP switch in practical terms, I will flight test to determine my typical mixture decriment % from my normal, best power mixture (just like I found my best LOP ignition advance setting with CPI). With these two values loaded in the brain box, I'll advance the throttle to the stop, take off and climb to my normal cruise altitude of 8500, set the prop, and flip the LOP switch which instantly sets mixture and advance to my "optimum".

And if after cruising for 3 hours, I forget to deactivate the switch, no big deal because it will automatically kick out if I need to grab a bunch of power for a go around, etc.

With GPS, autopilot, and now this, what are we supposed to do on long cross countries to keep us awake?

So if I understand using this LOP switch in practical terms, I will flight test to determine my typical mixture decriment % from my normal, best power mixture (just like I found my best LOP ignition advance setting with CPI). With these two values loaded in the brain box, I'll advance the throttle to the stop, take off and climb to my normal cruise altitude of 8500, set the prop, and flip the LOP switch which instantly sets mixture and advance to my "optimum".

And if after cruising for 3 hours, I forget to deactivate the switch, no big deal because it will automatically kick out if I need to grab a bunch of power for a go around, etc.

With GPS, autopilot, and now this, what are we supposed to do on long cross countries to keep us awake?

Correct. Now you just have to look out for traffic not shown on the glass...

Back