What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SD card holder for g3x updates ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
I need to get some 8GB SD cards to get my G3X up and running. My old USB card holders dont fit the little SD size. It appears you must choose between 3.x or -c hardware. I have ipad with USB-c port and Windows lap top with old style rectangle with plastic in it.
what should I get To load Garmin software ??

Just using the recent discussion on VAF about software updates that call for 8GB SanDisk. The card that comes out of the G3X is tiny and only says Garmin molded in the surface 😒

Okay, then disregard my comment about microSD cards. What you are looking at is a plastic dummy SD card intended to keep dust out of the slot in the GDU. This will be a full-size SD card; microSD cards are about the size of your pinky nail.

You can buy SD cards from Amazon. The Sandisk brand is recommended, 8-32 GB, and make sure it is marked "SDHC" (but not "SDXC" or "SDUC").

As for an SD card reader, just about anything will work, pick one that gets good reviews.

Okay, then disregard my comment about microSD cards. What you are looking at is a plastic dummy SD card intended to keep dust out of the slot in the GDU. This will be a full-size SD card; microSD cards are about the size of your pinky nail.

You can buy SD cards from Amazon. The Sandisk brand is recommended, 8-32 GB, and make sure it is marked "SDHC" (but not "SDXC" or "SDUC").

As for an SD card reader, just about anything will work, pick one that gets good reviews.
Thanks much Matt

Back