What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SD-8 aux alternator hall effect wiring?

Gonzo24

Well Known Member
I'm putting in a SD-8 alt and am not sure where to place the hall effect sensor for current sensing (AFS) on the output wire?

1. Should the output wire straight from the SD-8 run through the hall effect ring? the one that wires directly to the capacitor?

2. put it on the main output wire from the SD-8 system relay that ties to the electrical buss?

Seems that if it were #2 one would never be sure the SD-8 was producing power until you absolutely needed it.

Thanks for the help...

RV-7 IO-375 engine hung running the spaghetti....

IMO you don't need current sensing on on the SD-8, if it maintains bus voltage thats all you really need to know.

Also there won't be any current to sense unless the SD-8 is actually carrying the load.

Ammeters are "nice to know" information, bus voltage is what's really important.

IIRC, the output of the SD8 is a/c, and I suspect the Hall effect sensor will not read it.

If you choose to put in the sensor, put it on the output of the "regulator".

shown on 'lectric Bob's Z-13 schematic

FWIW for anyone else searching this...

My above question regarding how to monitor current from the SD-8 is shown on AeroElectric schematic Z-13 "all electric airplane on a budget." The shunt is placed in the wire from the relay to the power buss.

Lesson = read all of the plans first... then post only after not finding your solution... and then only after your third or sixth beer while in the shop... :D

Back