What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Scribe Lines on Spinner

N223JH

Well Known Member
My spinner has two concentric scribe lines 1/8" apart around the base. I'm *thinking* the upper one is the finish cut line as it corresponds with the backplate and intersects the vertical scribe lines as in the sketch. However...I would like to hear from someone who's been there before I start cuttin' on the spinner. TIA

Jim RV12#120264, RV6A 0360/CS for sale: low time/low price

Cut to the first line and check the fit. If you need to trim more, go for it. While this sounds like a smart "A" remark, my point is never rely on scribe lines completely. They are off many times, so check for yourself.

Gary Specketer

FYI, when mounting the nut plates on the aft spinner bulk head places the nut plates as far forward as the will go. This allows for trimming on the back side of the spinner if needed.

Jim,

Don't waste your time getting an exact cut for your first cut at the spinner. You will be doing a final trim with a sanding block after installing the spinner and clecoing it in place. Ask me how I know;)

John

Thanks for the input, guys.

OK. that makes sense: Preliminary cut somewhere south of where aft end of bulkhead will be, then finish when clecoed to bulkhead. I have similarly held off final cut of cowl so as to maximize the fit up in this area. Jim

Jim,

Sounds like you are right about where I am. Finished spinner yesterday and will start fitting the cowl at next work session. I already trimmed the cowl to the scribe line, on advice of earlier builders who said the lines were very accurate. Hope they were right!

While waiting to get to this point in the FWF kit I have been treating the cowl halves with the pure epoxy coatings (and sanding) recommended by Dan Horton to fill the pinholes.

John

Tell me about the pinhole preventative. Thought they were like death and taxes. I hate pinholes and I'm really spooked about painting this bird. Jim

Tell me about the pinhole preventative. Thought they were like death and taxes. I hate pinholes and I'm really spooked about painting this bird. Jim

Do a search and find a lot of great info. Look for the stuff Dan Horton has posted.

Last edited:
Like Larry says, search on "fiberglass", you will get lots of info. I am using the "Three coats of epoxy" technique, suggested by Dan Horton. Some of my pieces are finished, and look pretty good, but I haven't primed them yet, and that will be the real test.

Back