What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Screen for fuel vent line.

fabricflyer

Well Known Member
For what it's worth, I found a perfect screen to use on the vent line egress shown on DWG 36 and 36A. The stainless steel screen used on a kitchen or bath faucet aerator. It's fine stainless steel mesh, doesn't want to unravel easily, and is easy to cut to size. You can replace your old ones in kitchen and bath and use the screen out of the old ones. That way the little lady thinks you are doing something other than working on the plane all the time.

Great idea

How did you get it to stick tothe fitting?
I tried pro seal but the next morning it fell off. May be I did not have the proseal mix well
Smilin' Jack

Jack,

You must not have mixed it thoroughly.

I used proseal and mine is rock solid.

Try again.

Those stainless aerator screens are the bomb!

:) CJ

I used the same type of stainless steel aerator screen and I bonded it to the vent fitting with JB Weld. I have approx. one year of flying and they are still holding tight.

I used two part epoxy to glue fine mesh aerator screen and it hasn't fallen off sitting in the garage. I taped the threads and chucked the stock AN fitting in my drill press to turn and polish it.

IMG_2129.JPG

For what it's worth, I found a perfect screen to use on the vent line egress shown on DWG 36 and 36A. The stainless steel screen used on a kitchen or bath faucet aerator. It's fine stainless steel mesh, doesn't want to unravel easily, and is easy to cut to size. You can replace your old ones in kitchen and bath and use the screen out of the old ones. That way the little lady thinks you are doing something other than working on the plane all the time.

Smart. Both ways. :D

Or....

Or..... you could order the plug and play streamlined vents from JD air that are not only screened but provide an alternate air source incase of blockage.

The vents are a 5 minute retrofit for existing vents already installed. Good looking too.

www.jdair.com

Has anyone done any wind tunnel testing on the fuel vent fairings or Fuel Drain Fairings JD Air sells? They are pretty big, but sometimes a bigger airfoil can be less drag than a smaller non airfoil.

I'm building towards light weight and performance over looks when I have to choose. :)

Back