What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Scott and Deb's Excelent Weekend Excursions: Independence Day Weekend

339A

Well Known Member
Scott and Deb's Excellent Weekend Excursions: Independence Day Weekend

Right on the heels of the BIG Bahamas adventure, I had to travel for work. Fortunately for me, this involved flying 339A back to the Sunshine State for a week. Florida. At the end of June. Hmmm…All I can think is hot and sticky! Ahhh, not much to be done about it--duty calls.

[FONT=&quot]Shortly after leaving Front Range, we wound up on top of a layer for about 100 miles.
[/FONT]

dsc40802.jpg

Crazy clouds on the way to Bainbridge, GA

dsc40912.jpg

The trip south was pretty standard for us. I had wanted to make a stop in Sikeston, MO to visit the Lambert’s Café (after hearing all the talk here on VAF), but the weather had other ideas and kept us further south. Next time. We wound up going straight to KBGE, Bainbridge, GA, to stop for the night. I called ahead and they left us the courtesy van since they would be gone by the time we arrived. Just one of the many niceties of small-town airports. Next morning it was a short hop to KDED, Deland Municipal, where 339A we would spend the next week. We would be in the area of Lake Mary & DeBary. After landing and getting our rental car, we took a one-hour drive north to Deb’s newest favorite place, St Augustine. (We spent a month there last Oct/Nov.) Our plan was to have lunch at Osteen’s (great place to eat fried shrimp, see this write-up), but upon arriving we found that they are closed on Sundays. Bummer, but have no fear. The Conch House is right around the corner, and they have the world famous Rum Goombay Smash!

goombaysmash.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Now mind you, Florida had been in a drought the month prior to our arrival. Apparently it knows when we will be in town, because it poured all week long while 339A sat out on the ramp getting wet. Thanks to the canopy cover and Kate’s instrument cover, not much water managed to get inside during the week. When we opened the canopy, we found that all the electronics had managed to stay dry![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With the work project finished and the Fourth of July weekend upon us, we needed a plan. Earlier in the week, Deb had been talking with our son in Maryland, and it looked like he was going to drive up to New Hampshire (land of our birth) to visit the relatives. Well, we figured we could easily incorporate seeing him, our daughter-in-law and the grandkids, and other family into our plans, so we took off and headed up the east coast. This is where the weekend excursion begins and the trip starts to get interesting…[/FONT]

Waiting for the FOG to lift at KDED

img60722.jpg

[FONT=&quot]I have been lacking four New England States to finish out landings in the lower 48. Part of the weekend plan would be to land in Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Maine. Also, after some review, it looked like we could fit flying the Hudson Corridor into the plan as well. I did the FAA online course. Couldn’t be any easier, all you need is the New York TAC, stay between 1,000 and 1,300 feet, and self announce on 123.05. There are six required reporting points along the route and you call these out as you pass them.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here are some pics from the trip as we trundle up the east coast.

dsc41862.jpg

dsc42012.jpg

This is the third Georgetown airport we landed at between June and July. Pictured is KGGE in South Carolina. The other two were MYEF on Exuma in The Bahamas and KGTU in Texas.

img60822.jpg

dsc4228c.jpg

Passing over Atlantic City

dsc42662.jpg

To be continued...

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Scott and Deb Cont.

Here we are beginning our trek up to the Hudson Corridor.

dsc4295av.jpg

dsc4304p.jpg

dsc43082.jpg

Crossing the first checkpoint on the Hudson corridor, the Verazano-Narrows Bridge

dsc4309q.jpg

dsc43172.jpg

Second checkpoint the Statue of Liberty

dsc43312.jpg

Lots of buildings as we come up on Manhattan Island. Note the East river off to the right.

dsc43332.jpg

Shot of the "One World Trade Center" (aka Freedom Tower) building under construction and one of the "Reflecting Absence" memorial pools. Read more about it here.

dsc43482.jpg

Not a great pic of the Empire State building, the camera person (Deb) was getting bounced around.

dsc43592.jpg

Reporting point at the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum. Look at the planes on the deck.

dsc43732.jpg

To be cont...

Last edited:
Scott and Deb Cont...

Coming up and passing Central Park, NY.

dsc43792.jpg

dsc43942.jpg

Somewhere over New England...

dsc44032.jpg

dsc44182.jpg

As we began our trek back to Denver, we still needed to land in Maine and Vermont. This is one of the most picturesque airports we have ever landed at. It is KVSF, Hartness State Airport, Springfield, VT.

dsc4438.jpg

A Fuel stop along the way at KTIP, Rantoul National Aviation Airport in Rantoul, IL

dsc44542.jpg

One of the really nice things about this trip…. it was mostly paid for by work!! Always a great deal to have someone else covering your expenses. And we managed to reach a few milestones along the way. Again, the main reason for flying up the coast to New England was to finish out the remaining lower 48 which I was lacking. We finished up our state landings after getting through the corridor.

I have added a Goggle Earth .kmz link to this post. As long as you have Google Earth loaded on your computer, you can click the link and follow the entire trip. What’s pretty amazing is the accuracy of the GPS tracks as we fly up the Hudson Corridor. It shows it just like I flew it. Make sure you have 3D buildings turned on in Google Earth. See if you can correlate our pictures to the G.E. track.

You can see the landings at KIJD, KSFZ, KFIT, KCON, KSFM, and KVSF. We have been to KCON several times in the past. Deb’s sister lives near here and it gives us free lodging! (Oh yeah, and I get to see my sister-in-law.)

In looking at our travel times, we have about a one-month period for June where we traveled 9,944 miles, logged 63.6 hours, made 38 landings in 21 states and 1 country (The Bahamas). WOW, pretty amazing airplane and a great wife who is willing to go along with it.

We have now landed in all lower 48 States and I have flown an RV9A in Oahu, Hawaii. Checkout our airport landings link below to see them all!!

Regards,

Last edited:
scott, nice stuff here. great flying. nice to hear you were in my area this month. you definitely get around in your rv.
img1241p.jpg

chilling out in the BVI with my family.
how did you like flying the NY corridor?

Great trip! Congratulation for completing the lower 48 landings in your RV.
Although I have flown Hudson corridor several times they were always done in the morning. The lighting was just not right. You got excellent pictures.

Ah, thats great Scott, congrats on finally checking off the 48 states! I've been meaning to get a hold of you to see if you've been in town...but apparently you havent!? I'll have to swing by the hangar and hear about these stories over a beer sometime soon.

As we began our trek back to Denver, we still needed to land in Maine and Vermont. This is one of the most picturesque airports we have ever landed at. It is KVSF, Hartness State Airport, Springfield, VT.

One of the really nice things about this trip?. it was mostly paid for by work!! Always a great deal to have someone else covering your expenses. And we managed to reach a few milestones along the way. Again, the main reason for flying up the coast to New England was to finish out the remaining lower 48 which I was lacking. We finished up our state landings after getting through the corridor.

I have added a Goggle Earth .kmz link to this post. As long as you have Google Earth loaded on your computer, you can click the link and follow the entire trip. What?s pretty amazing is the accuracy of the GPS tracks as we fly up the Hudson Corridor. It shows it just like I flew it. Make sure you have 3D buildings turned on in Google Earth. See if you can correlate our pictures to the G.E. track.

You can see the landings at KIJD, KSFZ, KFIT, KCON, KSFM, and KVSF. We have been to KCON several times in the past. Deb?s sister lives near here and it gives us free lodging! (Oh yeah, and I get to see my sister-in-law.)

In looking at our travel times, we have about a one-month period for June where we traveled 9,944 miles, logged 63.6 hours, made 38 landings in 21 states and 1 country (The Bahamas). WOW, pretty amazing airplane and a great wife who is willing to go along with it.

We have now landed in all lower 48 States and I have flown an RV9A in Oahu, Hawaii. Checkout our airport landings link below to see them all!!

Regards,

If you dont mind....Total Fuel planned and Used. Total oil planned and used and parts you took with you and/or you needed during your trip.

Jealous!

Scott and Deb,

You guys really know how to get me going. Great pictures. I am very jealous and am planning to get back to work to close up my VS ASAP! Hopefully, someday soon, Aneta and I will get to see some of what you two have seen. Thanks for sharing.

Amazing! I live 30 minutes from St. Augustine and I rely upon you for my restaurant and B&B reviews! Based upon your previous writeup we tried to take my brother and sister-in-law to Osteens Sunday before last but found out as you stated in this trip report that it's closed on that particular day. We ended up at Meehan's on Mantanzas. Nice, but I was craving seafood. Thanks for the trip report and the great pics!

scott, nice stuff here. great flying. nice to hear you were in my area this month. you definitely get around in your rv.
chilling out in the BVI with my family.
how did you like flying the NY corridor?

We really enjoyed flying the corridor. Will do it again next time we're in the North East visiting.

Ah, thats great Scott, congrats on finally checking off the 48 states! I've been meaning to get a hold of you to see if you've been in town...but apparently you havent!? I'll have to swing by the hangar and hear about these stories over a beer sometime soon.

Thanks Ron, seems like we've been all over the country lately. Oh yeah I guess we have been. Have a beer for me at the SOS tent in OSH. Really wish we could make it. Next Year.

If you dont mind....Total Fuel planned and Used. Total oil planned and used and parts you took with you and/or you needed during your trip.

Interesting question. I don't plan my fuel. My fuel lasts longer than my bladder. So it always gets to decide when we stop. Actually we like to do about 3 hour legs, roughly 500 miles. I use Air Nav/Runway Finder and start searching for interesting places to stop. That's a big part of the fun for me. I always carry 2 quarts of oil. The H2AD is starting to use more. It has 1710 hours total time on it. The last trip I added four quarts over 32 hours. I just pick one up when I use from stock.

As for spare parts I don't carry any!!! I could carry 20 lbs of stuff and still not have what I need. I do have tools and various hardware. If I break down, I will deal with it on the ground. It's happened more than once.

Scott and Deb,

You guys really know how to get me going. Great pictures. I am very jealous and am planning to get back to work to close up my VS ASAP! Hopefully, someday soon, Aneta and I will get to see some of what you two have seen. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Mike, always nice to know we're keeping people motivated. :D It's about time for another movie night. After everyone gets back from OSH we'll have to set something up.

Amazing! I live 30 minutes from St. Augustine and I rely upon you for my restaurant and B&B reviews! Based upon your previous writeup we tried to take my brother and sister-in-law to Osteens Sunday before last but found out as you stated in this trip report that it's closed on that particular day. We ended up at Meehan's on Mantanzas. Nice, but I was craving seafood. Thanks for the trip report and the great pics!

That is really nice to hear. Deb and I REALLY like O'Steens. What's funny about it though, neither one of us are particularly big fans of fried shrimp. Their shrimp is simply outstanding though. When you're in St Augustine you must go there.

Thought I would add a couple screen shots to this post where I have some room.

First one is taken from Google Earth showing our flight path and Manhattan. You can view this if you click the link in the previous post and have G.E. installed on your computer. Amazing how close it matches our pics from the plane

screenhunter03jul182003.gif

The next one is of our Airport Landings map. Now with all 48 states. :cool:

screenhunter02jul181959.gif

Regards,

Back