What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

School Me On Aircraft Oxygen System and How To Use it.

PhatRV

Well Known Member
Patron
I am debating of getting a dedicated aviation oxygen bottle or using the Inogen oxygen generator system since I sometimes will fly over 10,000 when flying in the western US.
I have never used oxygen before, I don't know anyone in my very small circle of pilot friends who have used oxygen or have airplanes that are equipped with oxygen.

My question: If I use a dedicated oxygen bottle such as from the Aerox, if the oxygen bottle is mounted in the back baggage area, do I need to turn on the oxygen valve to full before getting on the airplane? If I do that, will the oxygen get released into air and the bottle get emptied without anyone using it? Or is the oxygen get released each time I take in a breath? If I fly at 11,000 ft and wanting to get higher and thus need more oxygen, how can I increase the oxygen flow if the bottle is mounted in the back where pilot cannot reach? I know these are dumb question but the closest I've been to an oxygen system is the display rack at Aircraft Spruce.

Also, if you have an airplane in SoCal and it is equipped with oxygen, can I ask to talk with you and about looking at your setup, and how you use it?

Thanks.

I am debating of getting a dedicated aviation oxygen bottle or using the Inogen oxygen generator system since I sometimes will fly over 10,000 when flying in the western US.
I have never used oxygen before, I don't know anyone in my very small circle of pilot friends who have used oxygen or have airplanes that are equipped with oxygen.

My question: If I use a dedicated oxygen bottle such as from the Aerox, if the oxygen bottle is mounted in the back baggage area, do I need to turn on the oxygen valve to full before getting on the airplane? If I do that, will the oxygen get released into air and the bottle get emptied without anyone using it? Or is the oxygen get released each time I take in a breath? If I fly at 11,000 ft and wanting to get higher and thus need more oxygen, how can I increase the oxygen flow if the bottle is mounted in the back where pilot cannot reach? I know these are dumb question but the closest I've been to an oxygen system is the display rack at Aircraft Spruce.

Also, if you have an airplane in SoCal and it is equipped with oxygen, can I ask to talk with you and about looking at your setup, and how you use it?

Thanks.
I suggest you look at the Mountain High system. It costs more but takes all the guessing out of the issues you list.

I mount the AL682 bottle in the forward baggage comportment in the RV-8. In the RV-10 I mount the same bottle on top of the tunnel cover just aft of the forward seats. The bottle isolation valve is opened as part of the preflight checks. No oxygen flows until you have the demand controller turned on and are breathing.

I have a charging rig in the hangar - makes life a lot easier. I use oxygen on every cross country starting at 8K’. This one bottle will last pilot and co-pilot over 10 hours.

Carl

I suggest you look at the Mountain High system. It costs more but takes all the guessing out of the issues you list.

I mount the AL682 bottle in the forward baggage comportment in the RV-8. In the RV-10 I mount the same bottle on top of the tunnel cover just aft of the forward seats. The bottle isolation valve is opened as part of the preflight checks. No oxygen flows until you have the demand controller turned on and are breathing.

I have a charging rig in the hangar - makes life a lot easier. I use oxygen on every cross country starting at 8K’. This one bottle will last pilot and co-pilot over 10 hours.

Carl
Is the oxygen valve opened to full before flight and left on? And what happened to the oxygen flow if nobody is breathing it? Will the bottle get emptied into the atmosphere? What happened if you find out you need more oxygen, can it be controlled remotely?

You will love it when you figure it out.
Less fatigue, you'll feel better, and acuity is improved.
Fortunately I have a side by side, so mine is strapped in behind the passenger seat and is easy to reach in flight.

I would avoid the systems that require you to adjust your oxygen level at the bottle, like some portable systems. It’s tough to find a good place to secure the bottle and reach to adjust.

There's basically 3 types of systems to choose from:
Constant-flow, Pulse Delivery, and Oxygen Concentrator.

Constant-Flow is the cheapest initial purchase, and is what I personally use (a portable system from Aerox). You turn on the main valve on the tank all the way, which lets oxygen flow into the regulator. From there, it connects to your individual cannula/mask. The Aerox system saves oxygen by trickles a slow flow of oxygen into bags in the cannula which are pulled from when you inhale. There's a small screw on the fitting that gets plugged into the regulator where you manually adjust the flow based on where a little plastic ball hovers in an in-line meter. There's no electronics here – it's all just mechanical valves.

If no cannula/mask is connected to the low-pressure output port, no oxygen will flow.

Pulse-Delivery is the Mountain High system. There's a microcontroller that you connect to your oxygen tank which very rapidly flips a tiny valve open/closed when you inhale to more precisely meter the amount of oxygen delivered, which goes directly into either a standard cannula (no little bags like Aerox) or mask. It uses less oxygen, at the trade-off of a higher initial cost and requirement for a power source.

The system will not deliver oxygen until you are above either 5k or 10k feet (configurable via a switch), even if you have a mask/cannula connected.

Oxygen Concentrators work by using Science to filter nitrogen out of the ambient air and delivering a stream of oxygen-enriched air when you inhale. They have to work harder at higher altitudes, which means they'll only work for 1 person above ~12kft, and won't work at all above 17kft. They also require around 80 watts of power, either from an onboard battery or a 12v supply. The trade-off is that you now never have to worry about getting a tank refilled. You will have to spend a few hundred dollars to replace the "columns" of the zeolite used to filter out nitrogen every 1000 hours or so.

They will deliver oxygen as long as they have power and are turned on.

Is the oxygen valve opened to full before flight and left on? And what happened to the oxygen flow if nobody is breathing it? Will the bottle get emptied into the atmosphere? What happened if you find out you need more oxygen, can it be controlled remotely?
Yes - the isolation valve on the bottle is opened before flight. No oxygen is flowing if you are not breathing.

The oxygen flow is automatically adjusted based on altitude. Simple. If you want more than “the adverage person” then you can select a higher deliver mode on the control box. Use a simple Pulse/Ox meter to monitor your oxygen level when flying. The small control box (where you plug your line from the bottle and your cannulas in) is typically mounted near you.

Carl

Installed my system this week. I had an Aerox bottle and purchased the mountain high O2D2 system. Mountain high also sells the mounting hardware.

IMG_1987.jpeg
IMG_1988.jpeg

I would avoid the systems that require you to adjust your oxygen level at the bottle, like some portable systems. It’s tough to find a good place to secure the bottle and reach to adjust.
I should have stated, make sure you can mount it where you can reach it. I have the Aerox and it’s great but always a hassle to find a good location to strap it down.

Pulse-Delivery is the Mountain High system. There's a microcontroller that you connect to your oxygen tank which very rapidly flips a tiny valve open/closed when you inhale to more precisely meter the amount of oxygen delivered, which goes directly into either a standard cannula (no little bags like Aerox) or mask. It uses less oxygen, at the trade-off of a higher initial cost and requirement for a power source.

The system will not deliver oxygen until you are above either 5k or 10k feet (configurable via a switch), even if you have a mask/cannula connected.
One correction. The MH Pulse Demand system also has an "N" mode that will deliver O2 immediately regardless of altitude. Essentially, it's a manual mode vs the altitude based automatic modes.

I have the portable 2-place MH EDS O2D2 pulse demand system with a seatback bottle carrier mounted on the co-pilots seat.

I live in the mountains and use oxygen most flights, and I went the cheap route - Aerox with a refill setup in my hanger. I place the bottle behind the co-pilot seat (they offer straps) and can easily adjust the flow of oxygen for each person. I like that I can add or subtract the volume based people are feeling. And it is cheap and simple, no electronics to fail.

Does the Aerox system have the remote control to regulate the flow of oxygen or do I have to manually manipulate the control valve from the bottle if I need to increase the amount of oxygen while flying? Is there a way to remotely increase the flow if the bottle is mounted away from the pilot?

And the same question for the Mountain High system, while it has that electronic pulse on demand device to converse oxygen, if I need to increase the oxygen flow, do I need to manually manipulate the control valve at the bottle or can it be controlled remotely?

Edit: So the MH pulse system is a self regulated system by electronic device.

Does the Aerox system have the remote control to regulate the flow of oxygen or do I have to manually manipulate the control valve from the bottle if I need to increase the amount of oxygen while flying? Is there a way to remotely increase the flow if the bottle is mounted away from the pilot?

And the same question for the Mountain High system, while it has that electronic pulse on demand device to converse oxygen, if I need to increase the oxygen flow, do I need to manually manipulate the control valve at the bottle or can it be controlled remotely?
The Aerox has a needle valve (on the cylinder) for each person. It is easily reached from my seat.

With the MH EDS system there are 3 modes - N for standard delivery at any altitude, D for delayed standard delivery starting at either 5K or 10K, and F for enriched/augmented delivery at any altitude. The modes are selected by a rotary switch on the control box.

Thanks.
There are so many systems you can get almost any answer without more detail.

FWIW, I use the Aerox system with Oxysaver cannulas (cannulae :)). If I'm going to be using O2 on a particular flight, yes...fully open the valve on the bottle. Plug in the cannulas to the quick-disconnect fitting. Turn the valve on the cannula itself (in-line in the tubing, near the user's end) to OFF until needed. When needed, adjust accordingly. When it's off, no O2 is flowing. This is a constant-flow system.

Another vote for the MTH EDS system. As for a reference, my bottle last me for about 21 hours of flying with two people and parts of the flight up to 17K. On my travels, I will go up high if wind is favorable.

Turn on the valve at the bottle before you depart. Nothing flows till you open the individual Aer0x flowmeters at each station. They can be placed within reach. Turn off the bottle after the flight in case there's any leakage at the flowmeters.

I use medical tanks and adjust them by reaching behind me. I will admit the reach around method ;) is not ideal and I will eventually just get an EDS someday when I can break the piggy bank.

while it has that electronic pulse on demand device to converse oxygen, if I need to increase the oxygen flow, do I need to manually manipulate the control valve at the bottle or can it be controlled remotely?
I think this was answered by others (and the manual) but the system does this automatically - the flow becomes greater the higher you fly.

There is a mode selection for more oxygen, however. Spin the knob on the controller to the 'F' mode - it's meant for the extra oxygen required for a face mask, but with a cannula it simply results in a larger dose of oxygen per breath.

The bottle's valve position never needs adjusting other than being open vs closed. The system is really easy to use and the pulsed flow is very comfortable - I use it for any flight over a couple of hours long, and recommend it.

I have an RV-8. I use the MH constant flow portable system. It has a two place regulator. Portable Constant-Flow flow meter. Cylinder size is AL-647. If I’m solo, I secure the carrying case to my lap belt and carry the bottle on the floor on my left side so I can access the valve. When I get to altitude I twist the valve and adjust the flow meter.

When I have a GIB the tank is strapped to the top roll bar behind the pilot seat. My GIB operates the valve as needed. Works pretty well so far.

I don’t own the MH 02D2 Portable Pulse Demand system. I’d like to get one but they’re expensive. I’ve heard they have to be sent back to MH periodically to get recalibrated.

I like Foghorns set up, looks super clean.

As others have said, the aerox needle valve(s) can be mounted close to the user(s), and a remote tank opened prior to flight.
And I didn’t see it, maybe it goes without saying, but get a pulseoxymeter. They’re so cheap now there’s no reason not to have one.

Small correction:

According to the data sheets on Mountain High's website, it doesn't use less oxygen than an Aerox system. At the same altitude, the same bottle size will give slightly less endurance with MH's pulse-delivery system than Aerox's constant-flow system.

The rest of the tradeoffs you mention are correct.

- mark

Small correction:

According to the data sheets on Mountain High's website, it doesn't use less oxygen than an Aerox system. At the same altitude, the same bottle size will give slightly less endurance with MH's pulse-delivery system than Aerox's constant-flow system.

The rest of the tradeoffs you mention are correct.

- mark
Would love to understand the engineering behind a system that delivers O2 at a constant rate vs a system that delivers O2 only when you need it. The system that delivers O2 when you might not need it lasts longer? Always willing to learn......

Would love to understand the engineering behind a system that delivers O2 at a constant rate vs a system that delivers O2 only when you need it. The system that delivers O2 when you might not need it lasts longer? Always willing to learn......

I have pondered this at length.

When you download the datasheet from Aerox and compare it to the data sheet from MH, the MH system always uses slightly more O2 at any given altitude.

"So why," curious minds might ask, "does the MH system have a reputation for using less oxygen?"

I think I know.

The MH system has been widely popularlized in the glider fraternity. In a glider, your height changes all the time: You might be at 5000' one minute, then 12,000' five minutes later, then ten minutes after that you might be back down at 7000'. All over the place.

If you're using a constant-flow system, every time your height changes you need to readjust the flow meter to set the ball to your new height.

That's onerous for a glider pilot. So what they'll typically do is set the ball for whatever height they think they're going to max-out at during the course of the day, and leave it there.

That'll make the constant flow system use a lot of O2 compared to the MH system when they're lower than that maximum height -- Which, because it's a maximum height, is almost all the time.

So among glider pilots, with common glider pilot usage patterns, the MH system will use a lot less oxygen than the constant flow system.

In our GA airplanes, we don't behave like glider pilots. We take off, climb to cruising altitude, stay there for hours, then descend to pattern height and land. It is not at all onerous for us to set the ball in the flow meter to that cruising height, we'll probably only need to do it once or twice per flight.

If you're at 14,000' and the ball is set to 14,000', the constant flow system will inflate the bag with about the same amount of O2 as the pulse demand system squirts into your nose.

I think that answers why the MH system has a reputation for using less O2, and why its data sheet says it uses approximately the same (ever-so-slightly more) as the constant-flow system.

- mark

Somewhat related. Do some phone call research. I was suprised how complicated it was, is, to procure oxygen. The FBO wants $75 to refill a "D" size CGA 540 bottle. Scuba shops wouldn't even talk about it. A cascade with two "K" bottles is the cheapest long term option but hangar liability added to the up front cost. Home brew cascade can be built fairly cheap. A welding gas shop will sell the parts and the bottles. Note, some gas suppliers will only fill tanks procured or rented from them so call ahead before buying tanks elsewhere. Finally medical oxygen. Cheapest up front but crazy difficult to get a prescription and find a supply. By the way, AOPA Dr Blue will help if you can't get a script. The medical places wanted medical history, insurance and first born even though I was paying out of pocket. I actually got pretty miffed with one place. The others were nice and said it was new regulations and they couldn't circumvent. I finally found a welding gas supplier happy to do business. They took the script and some personal info and I walked out with two "D" size tanks. Initial purchase of one tank because I had one. Trade out at will for 1/2 what the FBO wanted for a refill. By the way, if you find a medical oxygen tank, you only pay the refill and, if necessary, a hydrostatic test charge. It's worth checking Craigs for tanks.
Your mileage may, and probably will, vary.

Last edited:
Pondering here and can’t find an answer. Everyone has different physiology. I do not have as severe of hypoxia symptoms as my wife. My quick research shows that on average women are affected at 2000’ lower than men.
I believe, but can’t verify in their websites, that the common oxygen systems supplement to some level thru the regulator. As an example, one system uses a ball gage that you set to your current altitude. Is that system supplying oxygen at a rate to emulate sea level?, some other elevation?

Pondering here and can’t find an answer. Everyone has different physiology. I do not have as severe of hypoxia symptoms as my wife. My quick research shows that on average women are affected at 2000’ lower than men.
I believe, but can’t verify in their websites, that the common oxygen systems supplement to some level thru the regulator. As an example, one system uses a ball gage that you set to your current altitude. Is that system supplying oxygen at a rate to emulate sea level?, some other elevation?

The partial pressure of O2 at different altitudes is a known predictable quantity. The normal volumetric range of human inhalation is also known. Therefore the amount of O2 needed to restore the partial pressure of O2 in an inhaled charge to sea-level equivalent is also a known predictable quantity. Physiology and severity of symptoms aren't variables which matter, they don't affect the amount of O2 that needs to be delivered.

These systems restore sea-level performance (up to the limits of the cannula or mask).

You're supposed to use them with a pulse oximeter. If you're breathing supplemental oxygen and your SpO2% isn't at its sea level norm, there's nothing stopping you from bumping up the knob on the ball gauge by a couple of clicks to get a bit more flow. But it's unlikely that you'll need to, unless your rate and volume of breath is very divergent from normal.

- mark

Thanks Mark.
So, if I’m a Sherpa that has acclimated to climb Everest without O2,……
Or, if I live at Leadville CO……
Or, like me, I live at sea level, but my body processes oxygen more efficiently than most, certainly than my wife….

You get where I’m going…. Hmmmm

I am surprised to read that the MH system does not have a ‘bag’. That bag (properly called a re-breather bag) is part of the oxygen conserving system. When you exhale, the first part is captured by the bag (whether below a mask, or in the upper lip ‘mustache’). That first part of the exhale was in your nose or throat, so is still oxygen rich/low CO2. When you breathe in next, that air is re-breathed.

I am surprised to read that the MH system does not have a ‘bag’. That bag (properly called a re-breather bag) is part of the oxygen conserving system. When you exhale, the first part is captured by the bag (whether below a mask, or in the upper lip ‘mustache’). That first part of the exhale was in your nose or throat, so is still oxygen rich/low CO2. When you breathe in next, that air is re-breathed.

The MH system gives you a little squirt of O2 at the start of your inhalation which gets pulled deep into your lungs (the unit contains a pressure transducer that notices the gentle suction on the cannula tube when you breathe in). That's the "pulse" in "pulse-demand."

The first part of your exhale, which is the last part of your inhale, is just ambient air; Low in CO2, but also low in O2.

So there's no need to capture it in a bag.

- mark

Thanks.
I am located in SoCal and have the MH system in my -10. You're welcome to check it out. My tank has an electronic valve so you never need to touch it, which is a good thing as it's behind the baggage bulkhead and can't be accessed during flight.

-Marc

I am located in SoCal and have the MH system in my -10. You're welcome to check it out. My tank has an electronic valve so you never need to touch it, which is a good thing as it's behind the baggage bulkhead and can't be accessed during flight.

-Marc
Hi Marc,

I sent you a PM

Thanks Mark.
So, if I’m a Sherpa that has acclimated to climb Everest without O2,……
Or, if I live at Leadville CO……
Or, like me, I live at sea level, but my body processes oxygen more efficiently than most, certainly than my wife….

Here’s what I was going with this. If the O2 systems are designed to provide oxygen at a rate to simulate sea level, the Sherpa doesn’t need any, the guy at Leadville doesn’t need it until he is above 10k, me??, less than my wife.

I haven’t studied the charts but I believe the curve isn’t linear as you go higher. Anybody know?

Do folks just dial up the regulator to the altitude and enjoy?

I tend to dial my wife’s to altitude, and mine to less. I don’t need it at 10k, she does, but 7.5k works to keep me refreshed, as an example. If I am flying really high, I dial the altitude and don’t take any chances.
What do others do?

So I think I will need a oxygen bottle option instead of using the Inogen oxygen concentrator. Even when buying used, the Inogen is pricey.
I would like to get recommendation for the local FBO that can refill the O2 bottle at reasonable prices. In the near future, my option to refill is from the FBO while trying out using the O2. Maybe I will roll my own refill station in the future but only after I think I know what I am doing.
Thanks.

PhatRV,
Firstly - I would not try to talk you out of the bottle. I just want to share my experience with the Inogen.
Secondly, Nordo did a nice job of summarizing the pros/cons of each system.

That said, here is my experience:
I used the Aerox for a few years in my RV7 and then transitioned to the Inogen, where ultimately it became my choice in the RV14 I built (and, am now flying). I probably put about 50 hours on the bottle, but have likely more than a a hundred on the Inogen - many of them, just because its 'free' to use (no refilling the bottle). I generally fly overall about 200-250 hours a year, and most of my legs are in the 2-4 hours range.

It became my first choice for a few reasons:

>It was a pain to find a place for the traditional O2 tank. And, the tank was pretty heavy - or, at least it is compared to the inogen. In my RV14, the inogen fits nicely above the tunnel behind the throttle - its controls are accessible and i was able to run the lines through the tunnel and up between the seats to a leather shaving bag below my armrest. When not in use, that's where the cannulas stay (out of sight), yet they are easily accessible when I want them.

>Filling the tank was another chore that always seemed to come at the least convenient time. WIth the inogen, its just plug and play. I 'hard-wired' the power brick to my panel (i dont use the inogen's battery, as this is another pound or so of weight I dont want). Supposedly, the Inogen will go a thousand hours or two before a certain filter needs to be replaced. I don't know, but so far, no issues.

>Whist my O2 level is generally pretty high, even in the teens, I tend to get headaches when I am flying for any length of time above about 9k MSL. This is where the inogen is great - since its 'free' to use, I tend to strap it on just as a prophylactic. Nothing like arriving at a destination feeling great.

A few caveats:
> Its rated to 18'K MSL for single pilot. But, less for two pilots. I rarely go that high so its not been an issue for me. I also use a O2 monitor, so when I do get up there I watch my O2 level closely. If I was flying in the high teens (or more) regularly, I would likely be on the bottle.

>Its a bit spendy up front. Although, on the other hand, the savings over time of not having to refill bottles (time, hassle, and money) could be considerable.

>It draws a decent amount of power, so you need to be sure you're set up for this. Jason, at Aerotronics did my panel, and ensured I was good to go on this.

Last comment:
> If it were not for its diminishing effectiveness at higher altitudes, I would likely never consider the bottle systems again. I tend to think the biggest consideration (outside of initial cost) is the profile of your mission. If your fly frequently, and generally at or below the low to mid-teens, then I would suggest its hard to beat the inogen.

Here's a picture of the Inogen mounted in my RV14.

Attachments

• IMG_6318.jpeg
    IMG_6318.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
This is an interesting development:

sort of innogen on steroids for aviation...looks like they have a cheaper portable system as well...i was leaning towards mountain high but 10k installed is pretty pricey and frankly most us are just looking for 17500 tops for the ride maybe or 170 or 180 light IFR.....i like the idea of a back up o2 bottle as well.

PhatRV,
Firstly - I would not try to talk you out of the bottle. I just want to share my experience with the Inogen.
Secondly, Nordo did a nice job of summarizing the pros/cons of each system.
I was looking at the Inogen option but the used one on Craigslist is over $1400 and the seller seems shady. The new one is over $1800. I will try a lower cost option for now and I fly more or less 100hour/year, but not all the hours are at the high altitude. I found a FBO at KFUL charges $50 per refill. Taking this O2 slowly, one step at a time for now.

I was looking at the Inogen option but the used one on Craigslist is over $1400 and the seller seems shady. The new one is over $1800. I will try a lower cost option for now and I fly more or less 100hour/year, but not all the hours are at the high altitude. I found a FBO at KFUL charges $50 per refill. Taking this O2 slowly, one step at a time for now.
Jon (below) quoted me $1800 for a two place Inogen 5. No savings, but it's new and set up for two. I decided against it because most of the time, it will be two people and probably 10K or higher. The Inogen may not keep up. We are mountain folk acclimated to 7500' so I expect the "D" bottle to be adequate for most trips. I haven't figured out what we will do if it runs out away from home.

Jon Abbotts | Pure Medical
www.puremedco.com
888.747.7590 Toll Free

Since you seem to have a limited need - suggest you start small/cheap and see how often you use it. I found the simplest way was having my primary care doc write an RX for O2 (the Rx states "O2 required for mitigation of hypoxia at high altitudes". Took that to my local home health place and got a bottle for a $30 deposit. Refills are just $6 and they just swap out on the spot. A regulator on Amazon was $40 I think. Add some tubing and cannulas and I have a great two place system for about $75 all in. Wound up finding a cool little tactical pack that hangs on the back of the passenger seat and is easy to get to in flight.

I use it anytime I fly above 10K. My wife asks me to bring the setup home all the time as she loves using it when she writes lol.

There are certainly more exquisite options, but the price can really jump. For what I have invested, and considering I use mine 1-2x a month, this was the smart move.

I use both the MH EDS system while gliding and the $50 Easy Pulse 5 for paragliding and flying the RV. The m6 tank I use is the same dimensions as a fire extinguisher so mounts just as easy. The Precision Medical Easy Pulse 5 is a mechanical pulse delivery system that honestly works just as good as the MH system but isn't quite as o2 efficient. I have two of them, so its works for 2 place but I need to carry two tanks. It is ideal for single place ops. It can be bought on ebay for ~$50. I have a CGA 870 to 540 adapter so I fill my m5 tanks off any o2 tank. I fill off either the tank I also use for welding in my garage or the glider clubs o2 tank. I think its a great portable solution that fits in the fire extinguisher slot for those few flights a year where it is needed.

Last edited:
Since you seem to have a limited need - suggest you start small/cheap and see how often you use it. I found the simplest way was having my primary care doc write an RX for O2 (the Rx states "O2 required for mitigation of hypoxia at high altitudes". Took that to my local home health place and got a bottle for a $30 deposit. Refills are just $6 and they just swap out on the spot. A regulator on Amazon was $40 I think. Add some tubing and cannulas and I have a great two place system for about $75 all in. Wound up finding a cool little tactical pack that hangs on the back of the passenger seat and is easy to get to in flight.

I use it anytime I fly above 10K. My wife asks me to bring the setup home all the time as she loves using it when she writes lol.

There are certainly more exquisite options, but the price can really jump. For what I have invested, and considering I use mine 1-2x a month, this was the smart move.
I will try to convince my doctor to write me an O2 prescription at the next visit.

FWIW, most AME's will write a script when you are getting your physical. I already had my Rx in hand, but my AME offered during my last physical. The home health place don;t care what it's for, they just like selling O2. I'm pretty sure my M9 bottle charge is just $6. I didn't mess with insurance etc for $6.

Back