What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Scat Duct Repairs..?

bkc3921

Well Known Member
During the construction of my 12, the 2 1/2 inch orange scat duct (air intake from filter to engine ) tubing has become slightly damaged due to the internal wire poking through. Only a couple of very small holes that are far less than a square centimeter total.... Fully well realizing I could replace it for $40, is there any type of repair that can be done, and if so, what material..? ? Seems such a waste to toss it considering how small these holes are. (Frankly, I don't like this internal wire arrangement anyway....my kingdom for a different product..!) Thoughts..?

RTV will stick to it
I suppose there is a chance that a small bit of the RTV might break off and be ingested into the engine injectors, correct..? I wouldn't be concerned if this were the heat muff scat...but it's the intake.... I suppose I just answered my own question...maybe I will just bite the bullet and replace. Thanks for the suggestion!

If you really want to save the $40, you could probably wrap it in silicone “rescue tape” - its available in orange, and it sticks to itself nicely. Wrapped around the outside it would be hard to imagine how it could be ingested.

…..or buy a new piece of SCAT.

If you really want to save the $40, you could probably wrap it in silicone “rescue tape” - its available in orange, and it sticks to itself nicely. Wrapped around the outside it would be hard to imagine how it could be ingested.

…..or buy a new piece of SCAT.
Yes the tape works, sort of. Don't pull it on to tight as thats another problem. On a new build I probably just change it out . But keep the damaged scatt in case you need it in the future.

Back