What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB Step 42

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
I think I'm picking nits here but it's also likely I'm missing something.
1) Instead of cutting the head of a 1/4" bolt, would not a 1/4 in drill bit wirk just as well the center the press?

And if you have a countersink with a 1/4" pilot. is either necessary-- can't you center with the pilot and then countersink?

I'm still hoping that some one has a picture (or can point me to one) that shows how much of the doubler(s?) protrude below the wing. I don't have enough paint to do the whole doubler.

THANKS

Wayne 120241/143WM (155 hours and hoping for a thaw)

And if you have a countersink with a 1/4" pilot. is either necessary-- can't you center with the pilot and then countersink?
QUOTE]

I used a countersink with a 1/4" pilot. I tried the bolt method and standard c/s bit initially but despite being careful to line everything up and clamp it tight, I still got some chatter and so waited for the new bit to arrive. Maybe I need a better drill press than the cheap one I've got. However, don't take my experience as typical, because I'm sure most people have used the documented method without any problems.

I think I'm picking nits here but it's also likely I'm missing something.
1) Instead of cutting the head of a 1/4" bolt, would not a 1/4 in drill bit wirk just as well the center the press?

The doubler is not thick enough to be precisely centered using just a drill bit.

If you have a cutter with a 1/4" pilot, you do not need to center with the cut off bolt, you can use the pilot of the cutter instead.

The S.B. was written based on the original list of tools that were required to build the airplane. The goal was to avoid the need for purchasing more tools for installation of the S.B.

Thanks!

Well, I was right about one thing and wrong about the other. About my average!
I've got a 1/4 pilot bit coming so that will do the job.

Thanks again

Wayne

My cheap drill press (with countersink-1/4 pilot at 570 rpm) chattered enough to rattle my teeth! If I were to do it again, I'd try a large electric drill and Micro-stop cage. Using the electric drill allows you to vary speed should reduce chatter if/when it develops, although it might be more of a challenge in steel that the aluminum operations we're accustomed to.

Back