What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB compliance

RNB

Patron
How does everyone keep track of SB compliance for inspections or termination?

I have a prebuy Wednesday, reading through any SBs that might apply. In all the logs I've seen for Vans RVs, I've only seen intermittent mention of some SBs, never a comprehensive list like with my current 172.

For example, for SB 90, Dynon AP trim runaway, it would be nice to see a comprehensive list that said this did or did not apply, along with why, such that I don't feel like I have to go searching for model numbers.

I know no-one does it this way, but I keep a spreadsheet with tabs for each manufacturer. SB, SL, etc. A column indicates if it applies and when it was implemented. Each is saved as pdf in seperate folders and printed in seperate binders for reference.
Think of as resale value.

I know no-one does it this way, but I keep a spreadsheet with tabs for each manufacturer. SB, SL, etc. A column indicates if it applies and when it was implemented. Each is saved as pdf in seperate folders and printed in seperate binders for reference.
I do the same for Van's SB's (excel spreadsheet) and provide a copy with the insp. the only thing I put in the logbook are new or repetitive ones.
Doing that for every piece of equipment would be a real chore.

I’d sure feel better seeing such things.

I do the same for Van's SB's (excel spreadsheet) and provide a copy with the insp. the only thing I put in the logbook are new or repetitive ones.
Doing that for every piece of equipment would be a real chore.

‘doing what for every piece of equipment?

‘doing what for every piece of equipment?
Researching SB's on the entire equipment list.
AD's on engines/components, that's a whole nuther story.
(I'm actually moving away from annual inspections due to more panel work these days anyway).

(I'm actually moving away from annual inspections due to more panel work these days anyway).

In the certified world, isn't that standard practice (required)?

In NZ the new logbook system that was introduced a few years ago has a loose leaf section where ADs etc are recorded. As new issues come up sections are added so we recently had ones for Software Update Management and ELectrical Load Analysis. There is a section there for Manufacturers service information and this is where manufacturers SBs are recorded. It makes it very easy to keep all the aircraft updates etc in one place.

IMG_0985.jpeg

Reactions: RNB
So if you weren’t aware, all of the SBs and SIs are listed by kit on Van’s site. https://www.vansaircraft.com/servic...ns/?aircraft=rv-10&doctype=all&sort=undefined

You can signup to get notified of new ADs from the FAA:
when you sign up you are given a list to select what systems you want to be notified for. For example I have both Lycoming IO-540-C4B5 and D4A5 models on my list so I’ll get an email if an AD comes out on those engines (at least in theory)..

I have a binder where I keep printed copies of all the applicable SBs/SIs for my 10 along with other important documentation for the systems. I make all of my log entries on a Word document that I print out after each condition inspection and paste into the appropriate logbook. Each year I start with the previous year’s document and update as required. Some of the SBsSIs for the 10 are one time compliance only. Others require an annual inspection so subsequently generate a corresponding log entry each year.

So if you weren’t aware, all of the SBs and SIs are listed by kit on Van’s site. https://www.vansaircraft.com/servic...ns/?aircraft=rv-10&doctype=all&sort=undefined

You can signup to get notified of new ADs from the FAA:
when you sign up you are given a list to select what systems you want to be notified for. For example I have both Lycoming IO-540-C4B5 and D4A5 models on my list so I’ll get an email if an AD comes out on those engines (at least in theory)..

I have a binder where I keep printed copies of all the applicable SBs/SIs for my 10 along with other important documentation for the systems.
I’ve been reading through them today to try and best understand them.
for my prebuy next week, only one sb and one ad are specifically called out in the paperwork I was sent…

For me, I note each in my appropriate log book as completed. The summary (all completed or repeat) is on page one of my Conditional Inspection checksheet showing the SB number reason and date completed. Reoccurring ones have a checkoff box on the CI sheet. Before each CI, I go to Vans list to verify I have all noted and update my list as required. I can then verify everything is up to date.

Great idea. Could you share what column titles you include?
Tabs are by manufacturer. Lyco, Vans, Hartzel, Dynon.
Columns are as close to the text as possible. Date (YYYY,MM,DD), Title, effected model, etc. Makes it easier to copy/ paste. Last columns are compliance (NA, Date, My initials) and Notes.
SBs at the top. Then SL and other releases.

Before first flight I noted all SBs in the aircraft logbook as either not applying or complied with. Now all I note is the repetitive ones or new ones. Only took about a page or so for the first block of entries.

Good for you! ..... Just watch your fingers.....:giggle:

Back