What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB 08-6-1

flyindoorman

Well Known Member
After looking off and on for a couple of years for a RV10 I think I have found one. The builder told me they have not complied with SB 08-6-1 the F1010 bulkhead doubler as they did not think it was necessary.

Two questions in that reguard.

1- Is this required to be completed ? it has had 2 condition inspections sighned off since this.

2- About what would you guys guess as the cost to have the sb complied with by an A & P ?

This SB is not completed but they put the Van's secondary latch system on.

Thanks for your help I hope to join your ranks soon.

Just my 2 cents.

SB's don't need to be completed to be legal in the Experimental world. But that SB isn't one that should be ignored.

The door SB is one you can probably skirt around; I don't plan on installing it. But the one for the bulkhead is pretty critical because that bulkhead holds your horizontal stab on.

I couldn't tell you the costs for doing the work. I'd guess an A&P who wasn't familiar with the RV-10 would take 3-4 days to complete. But if you can find a 10 builder to help, it could be one long day or an easy weekend.

Just my thoughts.
Phil

I would imagine that most mechanics would spend a couple full days on it. However, I did the disassembly and prep work before my A&P arrived. He installed the doublers in one afternoon. The cost would have been around $300 but I repaid him in composite services.

A number of people have crawled into the tailcone and installed the doublers without removing the stabilizer or peeling back F-1014. If your mechanic is small and doesn't mind working in uncomfortable places... you might reduce the amount of work.

Peace of mind...

...counts a lot for me, so we took the entire tail assy off and rivetted the doublers on. It's a known weak spot so why take a chance?

Best,

Understand that it was cracking found during inspection that prompted the service bulletin. This means that you might fly for awhile before detecting a problem. But, once you do, even if you then repair and apply the SB, you've already got damage. Or you can apply the SB now and hopefully avoid any damage. Personally, I'd apply the SB (I have a newer kit, so it's incorporated into the build now) rather than engage in wishful thinking that my -10 wouldn't develop the problem.

we have not complied with the SB; instead we inspect every year with digital pictures. At 360 hours we have nothing. we chose not to comply for two reasons. The proposed fix by Vans simply doubles the metal there ; it does not tie into any structure to prevent the flexing. Secondly we installed the horizontal stab with Hi-Locs and have an interference fit. If and when we see any indication of a problem we have access to some aerospace engineers who will design a fix that will do more than just double the metal in the area. In addition the problem, to my knowledge , has appeared on only one aircraft 220RV which several bulders have confirmed hit severe turbulence during some of its 1000+ training hours.

Doublers are indeed effective at preventing crack development and propagation. Doubling the material thickness has the effect of halving the stress!

In some applications, the engineers do a detailed fracture analysis to calculate the amount of time it would take a new crack to grow to unacceptable levels. They use this analysis to determine acceptable inspection intervals. Without such analysis... there is no way to determine if your annual inspection is sufficient. It is entirely possible that you could experience a catastrophic failure between annual inspections.

Back