What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB-00067 During build

docjjrmd

Benefactor
As a new builder finishing up the empennage kit I received the SB-00067 kit. Nothing seems difficult but as holes are drilled in the counter weight arm tube, deburred, and the tube is externally powder coated, should the interior be primed after drilling? Nothing in KAI mentions it and I don't want to start a primer war discussion but seems to me this is one of those unprotected surfaces worth treating. Any thoughts? - JJR

i havent seen any rust inside the tube after 3 years.. i live near the shore too. However, I don't think its a horrible idea to run some primer down the tube...

I tried to prime any part or surface where replacing it would be a big pain (everything in the tailcone.. but not the wing skins).. Counterbalance arm doesn't qualify.. but since its steel.. and.. in practice, all it would really mean is that you get to shave off a little more of the lead weight.. it won't be a zero weight addition.. but it'll be as close to a free lunch as you can get.

Thanks Rob for your input. Simple to do now not so much later. Can't hurt have to balance anyway someday after paint.

I always shoot Corrosion X or other type of corrosion compound inside tubing and bilge areas

Back