What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Savannah Ga. area

Bwing96

The company my son works for is moving him and his family to Savannah. I know my wife and I will have to go see the grandbaby. Looking for suggestions on where to fly in to. SAV looks to be pretty busy and sometimes read $$$$. HXD maybe too I don't know. Another choice may be CWV Claxton Co. only about 30 mi west of Savannah.

Thanks Bill

I live between SC and GA right now, but when at my home in Richmond Hill, Ga (just south of Savannah) I base out of KLHW - Midcoast Regional/Wright Army Airfield. It is a joint use mil/civilian and is a hidden gem. Up until several weeks ago, SS 100LL was $4.99. $5.05 now. Compare that to KSAV. Give them a call, Charlie Martin is the manager - great guy.

Bwing: That's a good call you just got from 60av8tor. If that doesn't work for you though, then try Ridgeland, SC (3J1) about 30 miles north of Savannah just off I-95 or Navaid-95 as it's sometimes called around here (especially during Sun n Fun). Not quite as nice as Midcoast Regional (its funded by the locals, not the feds), but the atmosphere is great and tie downs are free. There is also a grass strip IN Savannah if you prefer, Hodges Airpark (GA39).

HXD can be difficult. Down between tall trees, with xwinds coming off the ocean air speed can drop off significantly on short final. Of course the reward is seeing some of Hilton Head. But if you fly in on the weekend be prepared to sit in traffic.

A better option may be Statesboro (TBR), 35 miles West on I-16. Two runways, good IFR approach and good fuel price... but only Enterprise rentals.

KSAV

My daughter is in school in Savannah, and I go into KSAV frequently, using the Sheltair FBO.

I've been in in an RV, a Cirrus, and a TBM. They always treat me extremely well. Fuel isn't cheap, but fortunately the RV doesn't burn much.

The airport itself is not bad at all for a towered field. Friendly controllers, lots of runways, good instrument approaches no matter where the wind is coming from.

If your destination is savannah, there's really no reason to land thirty miles away and drive...

Back