What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

sanding where top wing skins overlap

How do you know how much to sand where the top wing skins overlap?

Jake

When they fit perfectly..... :D

Actually, I've seen folks get very aggressive with the sanding and you can almost not see the joint after painting. I've also seen some that look like they did notrhing to the skins.

I know with mine I could have probably sanded more and done a more elegant job, but I was a little timid and concerned about sanding too much.

bob

If you were able to taper the skin in half from 032 down 016 that would be ideal.
I find that those who use hand tools tend to do a little less and those who use power tools a little more or too much. You can clamp the skin on a flat table (upside down) and make a few passes with a belt sander or hand tools.
Either way, it's about making that overlap dissapear.
A light breaking of the edge will go a long way in making that seam look better. Don't over do it.;)

Or why bother? Sure, you need a bit of trimming and adjusting at the trailing edge to make it all fit. Other than that, there are all sorts of places where skins lap. I think a poorly done attempt to blend would look worse than leaving it alone.

Of course, if you really think you can sand/trim a 32 thou edge down to a 16 thou edge and not end up with a scalloped edge......

Just seems more effort than it is worth.

Agree

Or why bother? Sure, you need a bit of trimming and adjusting at the trailing edge to make it all fit. Other than that, there are all sorts of places where skins lap. I think a poorly done attempt to blend would look worse than leaving it alone.

Of course, if you really think you can sand/trim a 32 thou edge down to a 16 thou edge and not end up with a scalloped edge......

Just seems more effort than it is worth.

I asked around about this when I was on this step. I came to agree with Paul. I heard one local story where the skin was so scalloped after attempting the blend that the builder had to reorder the skin. Based on this report and the fact that those who don't do anything don't seem to mind in the end, I decided not to risk it. My opinion is that for me, I made the right decision. I would have had a really hard time removing material evenly along the whole width of the wing.

tapered overlap - lot of work ...

Sanded mine down to about 0.018 in with small orbital sander and hand sanding block. Used a micrometer to make sure even sanding chord wise and even taper spanwise. Takes a lot of time, no scallop, and looked great when riveted.

http://tinyurl.com/7dg8rzd

Tom Koelzer
40950 Wings

Breaking the edge helps when painting.

It stops runs and curtains.

Ask me how I know........ ?

Back