What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sanding before fiberglass

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I am ready to start the glass work around the windshield. My question is should I sand the aluminum skin under the windshield and the plexi windshield itself before I apply the glasswork?
Thanks in advance!

Since no one else has volunteered, I am no expert but you want to scuff everything the glass will touch to make sure it bonds well.

Hi Charles.

When you sand the top cowl, be sure to use a very coarse sandpaper, like 50 or 60 grit. to ensure bonding.

Before you sand the windshield, lay about 8-10 layers of masking tape on the windshield, on top of each other, along the line that the fiberglass will come up to, to prevent scratching that area.

That said, it's a good idea to fit the black vinyl dash cover first, before you permanently install the windshield. Lay the windshield in place and mark the outer skin against the windshield and cut the vinyl to that line and glue it down.

Best,

YES

What Pierre said and also don't forget to clean the aluminum real well after sanding and before bonding. I suggest using mek or acetone on the aluminum and keep wiping with towels until it no longer shows black on the towel. It should be pretty clean then, and you should have a really good bond. Happy building.

bird

I almost forgot, Get some black die to mix with the epoxy. Makes it look much nicer from the inside when looking through the windshield after you done. ACS sells it. You only need to use the black stuff for the first layup.

I almost forgot, Get some black die to mix with the epoxy. Makes it look much nicer from the inside when looking through the windshield after you done. ACS sells it. You only need to use the black stuff for the first layup.

Thanks everyone for the input and I am going to try the black dye thing. I was sort of pondering what I was going to do about the inside look.

On the recommendation of a local fiberglass guy after doing several layups I drilled/pop-riveted the fairing to the underlying aluminum as insurance. Of course I continued layups on top of those pop rivets so they are not visible. I don't know if it helped anything but it sure didn't hurt.

I was unable to find the black dye. Have a URL handy?

Thanks,

Dan

Back