What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

San Francisco

moll780

Well Known Member
Im heading to San Francisco for VMworld at the end of August and I think I would like to fly myself there. (take a couple of days and enjoy the trip etc...)
Anyone have any route (from EDC) recommendations or best airport near SFO at which to park?
I'll be concentrating my time near the Moscone center.

I'd choose San Carlos (KSQL). Closest to Moscone and you can just rent a car and drive up the peninsula. Be prepared for the possibility of coastal stratus shrouding the airport or surrounding area in the afternoons.

+1 on KSQL; Other options: KPAO on the Peninsula.. You can also fly into KOAK and take relatively easy public transit to SF (BART) so no car may be necessary. The Caltrain comes up the Peninsula, and it will get you reasonably close to Moscone center (closer to the ballpark!). The stations are a short cab ride away KPAO or KSQL. A short hoof or cab would get you there.

I fly into SQL (San Carlos) once a week, $10/night tie-down and it's almost always clear. SFO is a different story, they have marine fog many times, but SQL is just far enough south to be out of the fog. SQL does occasionally have marine fog around dawn, it usually clears between 8am and 11am ... if it even materializes. Good alternate landing areas to wait out the fog are LVK (Livermore), Reid-Hillview (RHV), South County (E16), Tracy (TCY), and Byron (C83), just to name a few, there are many other places.

I think SQL might be a drop-off point for enterprise rent-a-car. If not, a cab will get you to the SFO car rental for about $35. Or, you could walk up to the bus stop (~18 minute walk) and ride it to SFO for ~$3-4.

If you want to talk about it, feel free to call me. Just PM me and I'll send you my phone number.

Mike
Grass Valley, CA (GOO)

Assuming that you are staying near Moscone, parking can be very expensive. And a car is probably not needed. That said, KSQL, KLVK, KCCR, KOAK are all a short taxi ride from BART, which will get you to downtown SF.

Free Parking

If you are making a vacation out of your trip our EAA Chapter has courtesy parking for EAA visitors at Santa Rosa STS. Santa Rosa is a tourist destination with Winery's galore, Redwood's and rustic ocean beaches, all within 25 minutes of the airport. S.F. is just a little over 1 hour drive to the South.

Steve (707) 972-3582

San Carlos

I fly out of SQL, and work right across 101 from there. I would skip the car. You can fly into SQL and then taxi or beg a ride to CalTrain which is one mile away. CalTrain will take you all the way to 4th and King, which is a short bus ride to Moscone. No car required or desired.

Alternately OAK, and BART into San Francisco. But I know tie-down fees at the GA section of OAK can be high.

Some great ideas here!
KSQL with tons of alternates locally. Easy to the BART and easy to downtown. better than taking the car.
Then maybe up to KSTS for a little whine country (oops.. I meant wine. I get confused when talking about californians ;)

I am aprehensive about the marine fog. I've never flown to the coast, or over the mountains... so lots of firsts for me in this flight!

I really appreciate the guidance. thanks guys

Good alternate landing areas to wait out the fog are LVK (Livermore), Reid-Hillview (RHV), South County (E16), Tracy (TCY), and Byron (C83), just to name a few, there are many other places.

Last edited:
I am aprehensive about the marine fog. I've never flown to the coast, or over the mountains... so lots of firsts for me in this flight!

I really appreciate the guidance. thanks guys

No need to worry. There is about 99.5% chance it will be clear. The 0.5% chance is during the early morning hours before 9am. SQL is typically the last bay area airport to get foggy and the first to clear.

http://goo.gl/maps/2uaXq
Also, google maps is pretty darn good about scheduling for all the various stops.

helps to inspire confidence knowing that info about the marine fog..
Not much of that here in Austin.

No need to worry. There is about 99.5% chance it will be clear. The 0.5% chance is during the early morning hours before 9am. SQL is typically the last bay area airport to get foggy and the first to clear.

http://goo.gl/maps/2uaXq
Also, google maps is pretty darn good about scheduling for all the various stops.

If you file IFR into SQL and take a visual it's an easy ride in. If you go VFR just have a good look at the Class B chart. Depending on which way you arrive in, it's a different set of things to look out for as far as being on the right frequency to receive Class B clearance or how to fly under the Class B and still stay out of the way of others. I've flown into SQL lots over the years in anything form C-172's to King Air's and in IFR and VFR rules in all aircraft types I've operated into there.

It's a great little airport but it is tightly fit into the airspace and land that it occupies. Prior planning on your arrival and departures will keep you happy and you can enjoy the scenery along the way.

yeah I'll be VFR only and will research the heck outta the area!

If you file IFR into SQL and take a visual it's an easy ride in. If you go VFR just have a good look at the Class B chart. Depending on which way you arrive in, it's a different set of things to look out for as far as being on the right frequency to receive Class B clearance or how to fly under the Class B and still stay out of the way of others. I've flown into SQL lots over the years in anything form C-172's to King Air's and in IFR and VFR rules in all aircraft types I've operated into there.

It's a great little airport but it is tightly fit into the airspace and land that it occupies. Prior planning on your arrival and departures will keep you happy and you can enjoy the scenery along the way.

Back