What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sam James Cowl

N9331v

Well Known Member
Im going to order my finish kit Monday and still learning as I go. That being said I'd like to ask the -7 guys that went with the Sam James cowl the following

Did you do make any deletions from the Vans finish kit besides the cowl ?

If I go with extended Sam James cowl can I still use a constant speed prop since the prop needs a extension ?

If I go with this cowl is the plenum a must have item ?

Anything I may be missing ?

1. no delections for me
2. yes, Saber makes a beautiful prop extension
3. A plenum is not mandatory, but going from the round inlets to factory baffles would be an interesting challenge. So I went with a plenum.

Thanks

Great ! Looks like I will just delete the Vans Cowl and order the James Cowl and Plenum. I'll also start looking for info on that Saber extension.

Thanks

RV-7build292.jpg

Here's the website. http://www.sabermfg.com/index.htm they were good to deal with.

What's the advantage to adding the Sabre extention and it's weight? Can't the SJ plenum be used with the standard "shorty" SJ cowl?

Bevan

the advantage is length and the ability to use the long cowl. I wanted the stretched look of the longer cowl. I don't recall the weight of the spacer, I'll guess 5#.

The plenum can be used with the short cowl.

If I go with this cowl is the plenum a must have item ?

One-upmanship, debatable efficiencies, construction time, and cost aside, the primary reason I do not like fixed one-piece plenums is because they are slow to remove and thus tend to discourage frequent upper engine inspections. Ease of access to critical componentry (particularly FWF) is a safety factor in itself in that it promotes timely inspection. But just my opinion.

Last edited:
Did you do make any deletions from the Vans finish kit besides the cowl ?

Going the same route...just ordered my finish kit, I deleted the cowl and cowl inlets...hopefully that is correct?

And I am planning on buying the plenum also...

Great info

Hydroguy

Thanks for posting that picture of the extension, looks like a work of art. I would think it would make loading baggage easier.

Captain avgas

I know what your saying about removal etc it can be a pain at times.
After 15 years owning my Mooney and removing its plenum every 25 hrs for oil change / inspections I've gotten use to.

Back