What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sam James cowl hits Superior oil dipstick

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
I am fitting the Sam James cowl on the RV4 with Superior XP 0360. The oil dipstick tube is too long and contacts the cowl . Has anyone else experienced this and what was your solution? I have a request for help into Superior, but if they dont have a shorter tube, I need a plan B.

Short dipstick

Hi Larry,

I had this same problem on my Lycoming O-360. I had to order a shorter tube and then had to cut off the end of the dipstick. I wish I had the part number, but I do remember I was able to find it without too much of a problem.

When I filled the engine up with oil the first time, I marked the quantity on the stick at two quart intervals, and used a Dremel tool to make the new hash marks and "engraved" numbers.

Hope this helps

- Rick
RV-4 N999XS

Try looking up part SL75767. There are some other blurbs here on VAF about this piece . . . it may need modifications for the dipstick more than just cutting a piece off. Hope this will be a good starting point.

Rocker cover clearance ?

Thanks Rick,will shorten and build on. It sounds like we have the same hardware. Also, the cowl only clears the rocker covers by a finger thickness as you run your hand across the top of the covers. How does this work out ?

I'll check

Hi Larry,

I just have the normal Van's cowl but I think I only have about one to two finger of clearance as well. I'll check it the next time I'm at the hangar (which will be a week or two).

Back