What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safety wire these bolts!

Vlad

Well Known Member
I did a long trip recently and might have skipped checking wheel pants during preflight. The day after I gave my RV thourough visual inspection. The wheel pants were looking right but when I rocked it one of them had considerable play :eek:

I promply opened the front and discovered this. I hope I lost the bolt somewhere over Everglades not by East River.

295a5055.jpg

165a6f38.jpg

The fiberglass was very close to the tire. It might even cut the tire if landed in windy condition. Those who are still building please change those bolts for drill headed ones. Those who are flying a lot rock your pants more often. :)

What Walt said!

I once had a customer bring in an RV-6 with the cord showing.
His statement was that these are 6-ply tires.

NOPE! Look again. They are 6-ply "rating".
Actually 2-plies. I cut the tire down the middle to show him how close the air was. Now he changes tires as soon as the tread is gone.

Put some new tires on there while your at it :D

What's wrong with my tires? :D There are brand new threads on the other side I flipped them a month ago. It's only 600+ landings almost nothing not even one year in service. I will go bankrupt if I change tires every couple months. :D

If seriously they are going out during condition inspection.

Yeah, you can see you recently flipped them. If the cords show through you can just smear a little proseal on them. Gomer Pyle used to use black paint on his customers tires and he swore they'd get an extra 50 miles on them.

Yeah, you can see you recently flipped them. If the cords show through you can just smear a little proseal on them. Gomer Pyle used to use black paint on his customers tires and he swore they'd get an extra 50 miles on them.

Dave you just gave me excellent ideas how to get extra landings out of them. Proseal and black paint. What if I grease them before landings somehow to minimize the wear? I rarely use brakes also to save the costly pads. :D

Timely post Vlad! I just installed my wheel pants today for the first time, and I don't think I put the safety wire on the right pant.

Timely post Vlad! I just installed my wheel pants today for the first time, and I don't think I put the safety wire on the right pant.

Double check both Andy. On our (RV9A) drawings drilled head bolts and safety wire are not shown.

Mine are safety wired, but I always wonder why it needs it as the nut plate should keep it from rotating and there should be very little if any relative movement. What gives that these bolts come lose?

I had the outer 1/4" flush head screws on the 10 loosen up. Loctite seems to have stopped it.

Me too!

Very timely! I was starting my first condition inspection today and found this bolt on my left main was loose. I figured I had forgotten to tighten it all the way. As I was putting the wheel pant back on, I recalled that the plans called for this to be safty wired. Unfortunately, I couldn't find an AN4H in any of the bags. So, I just ordered a few from Aircraft Spruce. I was thinking it was overkill. But, I guess not.

Thanks for posting!

I promply opened the front and discovered this. I hope I lost the bolt somewhere over Everglades not by East River.

I wondered what made that big ding in the top of my car, since you flew right over my house in Florida.:eek:

Last edited:
Back