What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safeair1 Static Port Install

niblettda

Well Known Member
I've got a question about how best to do the Safeair1 static ports. I drilled the holes for the ports a bit lower and forward of the Van's location. I made sure I had clearance between the disk of the port and the bulkhead flange.

My two questions are:

1) Is this acceptable for mounting the forward line? Currently I have the T fitting for taking the static port forward ABOVE the shoulder harness attach point. It looks like I can clear everything, but not positive that it won't rub on something down the road. I can relocate the T to below or at the attach point, but that looks like a really short distance from the actual port and I'm a bit concerned that, that might lead to moisture problems. Anyone have comments on how they did it?

100529-2.jpg

2) Is Prosealing enough to hold the ports on, or should I rivet them as well? I've heard others post that they thought it was fine with just Proseal, just wanted to know if it will hold up. If I go that route I'll cut some flexible strips to hold the port in place until it dries I assume.

Have a great holiday, I'm enjoying mine so far!

Similar

On my new project I mounted as you did. I used two adels to secure it to the longeron and clear the seatbelt mounting. I'm at work and can't get a picture now but will.

I also mounted with just proseal and will decide soon if I want to add a couple of rivets.

Proseal only works fine....Just clean and roughen the skin to accept it..

I made some little straps out of thin aluminum to tie the tube to the longeron a few places as it goes fwd.

Good luck with your ports!! Sure hope yours works better than mine did in the stock setup!

If yours end up not working accurately I can give you some pointers on what might fix em...or just take a look at the archives...

I would absolutely go proseal only. I botched up the riveting job on mine as they are right next to a former and had trouble with them. The only crappy riveting job on the outside of my plane.

The way you mounted your hoses is good. It will be difficult for water to go up hill and get into your line.

I like that approach, Bevan.

Don't want to hijack the thread but this is vaguely related.

I have quite a few instruments in my panel that need a static pressure. Trutrak suggest running two separate lines forward from the ports if there are more than four (IIRC) instruments needing a static feed. I believe this is something to do with avoiding a 'lag'

Does anyone have any views or experience of doing this?

Thanks,

Bevan,

I looked at doing it that way, but came across a post/website from the Safeair guy to another builder about specifically not doing it that way for a reason. Hence I went with the above approach. I wish I could find that reference now, but as we all know everything on the internet is true. :)

Rivethead, thanks for the tip on the E6000. Looks like that stuff will work well and it means I don't have to smell the proseal fumes.

Happy Memorial Day all!

Back