What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safeair Static T fitting location in Tail

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Does anyone have pictures of how they mounted their Safeair Static T fitting on the bulkhead in the tailcone? Every way I've tried to find to mount it has a lightening hole causing friction with a static line or sitting right on the bulkhead rivets. I though about mounting it sticking "forward" and using a Ziptie to secure it to the bulkhead rather than mount it flush. But it allows the T to rotate back and forth and am worried about stress on the static lines/disconnects.

I just zip tied the lines to the bulkhead, so the lines themselves support the fitting. I don't think it's going anywhere.

-Rob

Ha, I didn't even thing of that. Did you set the T with output going towards the firewall or to the top skin. The top skin radius seems to be too tight to mount it that direction.

Towards the front. I managed to find an old picture of my install:
static-line.jpg

-Rob

Hey CW,

I've enjoyed watching your building progress (you make me feel slow :)). I found this picture in the Safeair1 brochure for you. This builder has used adel clamps to get the line very secure and raise it off the edge of the bulkhead. I would be a little concerned about LONG term chafing of the static line with only zip ties. Just my 2 cents. Happy building!

Static%2Blines%2Bwith%2BAdel%2Bclamps.jpg

Those are a good idea. I hadn't considered something like that as those lines are pretty dang tough, but it's always possible. Thanks for sharing the photo.

I used a small 1/4" aluminum spacer on my bulkhead under the tee fitting.

For the lines, you can drill a 1/8" hole 1/4" in from the inner flange on the bulkhead webs. Then run a zip tie through the hole and trap the line in the corner of the flange. Put the 'head' of the zip tie to the back side of the bulkhead both for neatness and to avoid putting a pressure point on the static line. Cheaper and lighter than adel clamps, screws, and nutplates.

It's also best to put your tee on the right side of the airframe. If you bring your static line forward on the left side you run into your baggage door.

You might be able to hide it under the longeron to get past the door but you'll risk abusing the line as you load and unload bags.

The right side (like Rob's photo) is a no brainer.

Phil

Here is what I ended up with.....

Nothing glamorous here. I used a few adel clamps with the Safeair1 kit. I decided to just proseal my static ports. Quick, easy, and hopefully waterproof.

photo-734867.JPG

Cheers,

Back