What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

''Safeair 1 tip tanks''

does anyone out there have any feed back on these tip tanks??

regards glenn

Glenn did you search the forums?
There have been quite a few discussion on them.
Grab the search tool for immediate satisfaction on your quest for information.

I've got them on my -6, they provide an additional 4.4-4.5 gallons per side. Gravity/air pressure feed, they work great.

Are they needed? 90% of the time, no. But, I did fly from central Florida to Charlottesville, VA non-stop with 16 gallons aboard on arrival. Considering winds, weather and IFR alternate/reserve rules, they provide a really nice reserve. Not sure my comfort level would have allowed me to complete that flight non-stop with only 7 gallons left without the ER tanks.

If I were building another RV, I would buy them again.

Last edited:
SafeAir 1 aux tanks

They really are not tip tanks. They are much better! They are fueled from an access door in the wing tip, but they are aluminum tube tanks that fit inside the rib lightening holes.

My RV-8 was the prototype for the RV7/8 tanks, and pictures can be seen on the SafeAir 1 web page under HWA Extended range aux tanks RV-7/8.

I love mine, and have made nonstop flights from OSH to 52F (Roanoke Texas) several times. When flying at economy cruise of 8 GPH or so, they add an effective 75 knots to you ground speed between A and B when a stop would otherwise have been required, while using less fuel for the trip.

The extra hour plus is perfect for the IFR reserve requirement, and gives you usable IFR range.

Tip Tanks

does anyone out there have any feed back on these tip tanks??

regards glenn

I considered these, but I wanted more fuel than they could provide. Instead, I turned the fiberglass wing tips into tanks. Each on eholds 9.5 gals, giving me 60 gals total in my RV-7A. That allows me to fly from Hartford CT to Daytons non-stop! It also gives me much better reserves for IFR flying....

Best seen to date...

I have put a set of my good friends "Hollywood and Cheese's" aux tanks in all three of my airplanes. (RV4, HR2, RVX) The utility, flexibility and capability they add are worth every penny, especially the RV4 and my X. My Rocket could travel nearly 1000 NM at Max Range on 54 gallons. I recently flew my RVX to the Bahamas and the tanks proved their worth yet again.

If you hate stopping on long trips or tanker cheap gas when you can, these are for you. They only add 9 lbs, spread the weight across the wing structure and were thoroughly tested. I was there during the development and they back their product 1000%.

Can't go wrong, a win-win.
Smokey

Last edited:
I have them on my -10 and they are great. Like another poster said, probably don't use them 90% of the time, but really nice to have when you need the range, an IFR alternate, or you encounter cheap (a relative term:eek:) fuel and would like to take on some extra.
The kit quality was excellent.

Back