What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sacrilegious question - Alternatives to a 7A?

flybye

Well Known Member
I was almost set on ordering a 7A until I flew one recently. The problem wasn't with the performance but the dimensions of the cockpit. I am 6' 3" and my headset was touching the canopy. Very disconcerting when in turbulence. I was almost touching shoulders with my passenger too which made things feel claustrophobic. I am used to the kind of space in a C172 or Archer and now I'm wondering if this is the right plane for me. Is there any vertical adjustment in the seat height? I will be going to EAA and had expected to review the 7A before placing an order but now I'm back to looking for alternatives. But what other low - wing aluminum planes are out there with similar performance that offer more space in the cockpit? Any ideas on this one?

easy answer

It's called the RV 8 (a) :D
Lotsa shoulder room. Take out one of the seat cushions for head room:eek:
What ever RV you decide on, you can't beat the performance!
regards,

Hmm - you can use thinner cushions. I'm 6'2" and have plenty of clearance with the stock classic aero cushions - in fact I usually add one of the thin boosters. QB fuse with standard seat locations.

Shoulder wise, I haven't had much of a problem, but I'm pretty skinny (170lbs).

Customize your build

I was almost set on ordering a 7A until I flew one recently. The problem wasn't with the performance but the dimensions of the cockpit. I am 6' 3" and my headset was touching the canopy. Very disconcerting when in turbulence. I was almost touching shoulders with my passenger too which made things feel claustrophobic. I am used to the kind of space in a C172 or Archer and now I'm wondering if this is the right plane for me. Is there any vertical adjustment in the seat height? I will be going to EAA and had expected to review the 7A before placing an order but now I'm back to looking for alternatives. But what other low - wing aluminum planes are out there with similar performance that offer more space in the cockpit? Any ideas on this one?

I'm 6'2" 275lbs. I built a 7A (now converting to a 7) and in the process of rebuilding I am getting myself a few more inches of room. I felt a little cramped before, but not uncomfortable.

• Use the thinnest cushion set you can find that will be comfortable. I had mine made by Classic Aero.
  • Adjust the rudder pedals for maximum legroom.
  • Use a low profile headset.

Most low wing side by side kit planes have less room than a 7. :(

If I ever build another, I might address the room issue by modifying the cabin rear frame bulkheads, or perhaps raising the canopy a couple of inches.

Just MHO,
YMMV

Increased canopy height

If I ever build another, I might address the room issue by modifying the cabin rear frame bulkheads, or perhaps raising the canopy a couple of inches.

Just MHO,
YMMV[/QUOTE]

It hadn't occured to me that it might be possible to raise the canopy, I guess that effects drag also. I'm also thinking of looking for headsets that allow the band between ear pieces to pass behind your head instead of over the top. This could help with headroom problems.

I'm about 6'6" tall. I got a ride (thanks!) in kevinh's RV7 last fall, and fit ok. I would say that my knees would be the only real concern. My headset was a little close too, but we discussed options such as thinner seats and rudder adjustment. I wouldn't say my head was any less comfortable in a 172. It would certainly be nice to be able to slide the seat back more. Maybe a -10 would have better length in that department.

Not sure about a slider, but I'd estimate there's at least 1.5 in. available in the bow and plexi of a tip up beyond what's shown in the plans. At the same time, there's quite a bit of flexibility in the position of the rudder pedals to allow more knee room - just don't extend the panel downward. In hindsight, I wish I'd have added more headroom in my 9A when I built. As for headsets, forget about those with thick padded bands. I use a bose stereo set (non-aviation) with a Ufly mike. Works great, low battery indicator makes it a no brainer, and my pax headset is always available as a backup. I heard Ufly's latest iteration is capable of operating in a no-power mode. I wouldn't worry about the potential speed loss of a higher canopy - if it had that much of an impact, you'd probably see a lot of low profile designs being built by the more vertically challenged pilots.
Terry

I am 6'2" and fly a RV-7. I agree that moving the rudder pedals forward is a good idea for taller pilots. Another way to gain some headroom is to recline the seat back a little more. I have removed the stock upper seat support and just let the seatback rest on the crossbar. This allows my head to clear the optional sunshade without any problems.

This could be a concern for me as well... 6'4", 240. What does the option for taller pilots that vans offers accomplish? Does it lower the seats or let them lean back more?

Tall pilots

This could be a concern for me as well... 6'4", 240. What does the option for taller pilots that vans offers accomplish? Does it lower the seats or let them lean back more?

Far as I know, the only factory option for tall pilots is on the RV8 models.
What I have seen personally:
  • Custom links on the rudder cables and reposition rudder pedals forward (leg room). I'm using this on my rebuild. (along with 'heel' blocks for the rudder pedals to allow easier use of rudder and brakes).
  • Very thin (yet comfy) seat cushion and seat back padding. Mine could be thinner and I'd get a bit more room.
  • Only saw it in drawing form, but "notch" cut in rear cabin frame and reinforced to allow seat back to recline an extra inch. Doesn't sound like much eh? You'd be surprised.
  • Low profile headset. My old headset was nearly 1.5 inches added height. My bose is much slimmer.

What might be done: The skys the limit. Raising the canopy would not be a gargantuan task. You might need to weld up a custom frame and roll bar, then just cut the canopy a bit longer than normal.

For me, the biggie was leg room. I'll have a bit more now and that should make quite a difference.

Just random thoughts,
YMMV

not a problem....

I've built and am now flying a 7A... I'm 6'5 220. My son is 6'7 but doesn't carry the weight :) and neither of us have any problem with height. You move the rudder pedals as far forward as possible (but within plans) and put a thinner seat cushion in place. My plane is completely stock... no deviations from plans (or at least none that were planned :) )

I currently use the foam seats that Van's sells but pull out the bottom wedge. When my wife rides, we put the wedge and an extra cushion in place. I've bought the foam that Oregon Aero sells but haven't covered them yet so aren't using them. I have tried them and have the same experience.

Shorter pilots can't reach the rudder pedals in our configuration. Of course that's the beauty of building... build it to fit you :)

Just for the record, I have flown in other 2 place RV's... some fit me well. Others I bumped my head or was concerned about it.

Rubbing shoulders... two wide bodies will rub shoulders. No solution to this one.

I am 6'4" and have a 9A which is of course the same fuse. A thin seat really helps, but I went with the Halo headset and eliminated all the problems. Besides not hitting the canopy, it is very comfortable and the sound is excellent. I am buying another for my wife at OSH and she isn't even tall. Width, you really do get used to it. Only time I notice is getting in and out.

Bob Kelly

flybye,

Ask your host about the cushions. The "stock" Van's cushions consist of up to three pieces, a tree inch wedge, a one inch pad and a two inch pad. (I'm guessing on the thickness here as I don't have them on hand to measure.)

I had mine all upholstered separately so I can add or remove pieces to fit my passenger. Tall people like you usually just sit on the 2" pad with good comfort. However, I've seen some people sew these all together so they can't lower the seat.

Gee, what do they feed you people?..:)

I thought 5'8" was tall....Must be my 3rd world childhood starvation diet..:)

but i did have something useful...Make sure you wear an In-ear headset...Should shave 1.5" or so off yer noggin= compared to a traditional headset.

Oh and if you do any negative G work...Duck!..:)

Frank

Regarding headset (to the extent it might help), try the Clarity Aloft units. Zero headroom required. They are passive noise reduction, but the reduction is about equivalent to active. My wife and I have had great experience with them.
L.

Back