What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RVs and Dad

bsacks05

Well Known Member
Anyone go RVing with Dad on Father's Day?
I took my father - just turned 70 yesterday, semi-retired radiologist, former army doc and Vietnam Vet - on his first long RV flight from Perry, Ga to Crystal River, Fla to visit my sis on Saturday. After some boating and BBQ, we flew back today. A 5 hour drive or a 1.5 hour flight......hmmm.
I think he likes it! :)

cgclizpp8.jpg

dadmx8.jpg

finalvl9.jpg

Anyone else have some Fathers Day and RV pics or stories?

Last edited:
Nice Story

Bruce, nice story, especially for those of us who's father's have "gone west." Enjoy him while you have him.

Nice Story

gbrasch said:
Bruce, nice story, especially for those of us who's father's have "gone west." Enjoy him while you have him.

That one hurt. God, I miss my dad........

Glad you got to do that, Bruce. I really miss mine, also. He would have loved the RV.

b,d

My pop turns 81 in a couple of months. He's got some health issues and is slipping a bit mentally, but is sharp as a tack when dealing discussing a technical issue, or people problems.

We both learned to fly in '46 Aeronca Champs, I just learned in the early 90's instead of the mid 50's. Anyway, I just got off the phone with him and he reminded me of the deal he made with me about a year ago: I'll finish the plane by the spring of '09 and he'll be around to go for a ride.

He also introduced me to motorcycles and trail riding. Here's a photo from his 80th birthday.

34658034-L.jpg

No RV'ing with Dad, but.....

I just got back from Philadelphia where I attended my Dad's WWII Ships' crew reunion. He was on a destroyer (The Aaron Ward) that saw significant action at Okinawa. The reunion was attended by 12 of the surviving 35 (or so) crew members, and it was exciting to hear them still talk about their experiences. Didn't gt any pictures of Dad wit the RV, but it got me there for this very important moment - a nice coincidence that it was Father's Day!

(One of the crew mates brought along an extremely old bottle of Scotch that he has had since the war.....the bartender at the hotel said it was worth a huge amount of money, and that he shouldn't open it, but he was determined to have a toast with the rest of the survivors with something that dated that far back! It was very, very smooth.... ;) )

RV's....brignin father's and son's closer together all the time!

Paul

Back